Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    This is one of the major issues with Grad Rec - employees are predominately female! Lots of maternity leaves or people leaving the industry, as ultimately juggling a family and travelling around the UK/working late at night don't really compliment each other well.

When someone leaves a GR team, all their knowledge and experience leaves with it which slows down processes significantly. For reference during my time at FBD I worked with 22 different people in 4 years in Graduate Recruitment - the turn over was crazy! Every time someone left, you have to invest in training up new members of staff to the very specific requirements of legal graduate recruitment and the firm's specific ways. That always slowed the process down.... :(

All of that craziness is why my business is successful :D
    Wow - I had no idea the turn over was that great! Just goes to show how demanding GR can be! As ever Jessica, your insights are very informative and much appreciated :)

Reactions: J32

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi all,

Was wondering whether I got some guidance please...

I'm a 2018 Law Grad. I've been applying here and there. Last year, I got 3 ACs (2 SC and 1 MC) which was amazing since I had never gotten past the application process.

This year I submitted a few but spent a lot of time on one. Had 1 AC (MC firm) but was declined.

From all my feedback, I've been told my competency is fine but its the commercial case study that probably needs more work. My most recent AC told me that I was so close to the offer.

Kinda losing hope now given that I've been to lucky be interviewed with 4 amazing firms and I've been declined all 4 times. Any tips on what I should do and what I should do next? Sort of ran out of steam too so would really appreciate any insights, guidance, motivations and anyone else in the same position

Hey, i had exactly 11 interviews at different firms (US/SC/MC) before i started getting offers! i know how tough rejections post AC can be especially because all you're thinking is "i was so so close" and the more it happens the more youre tempted to quit. At the beginning of this year I was seriously thinking about giving it all up and then when i least expected it i got 4 offers!

you're already doing so well in getting so many interviews, its just a question of time/practice/luck, and ultimately the right firm for you.
    what really helped me was setting up "mock" interviews with either jaysen or one of my friends to whom i gave TCLA's question bank to. she'd seriosuly interview me for about 40 minutes once a week and then show me my recordings giving objective feedback.

in terms of commercial awareness i'd recommend the FT, even just a general read every day can turn out to be extra useful (if youre a law student maybe your course offers base subscrption?). if not id also recommend finimize, jake schogger's "commercial awareness" booklet and TCLA's articles/ weekly commercial updates.

Good luck and dont give up!

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Serah O, Faye, D95 and 13 others

Hope3345

Mar 14, 2018
    Hi all, I've been lurking on here for a while (I'm just pretty shy) but I've been seeing a lot of posts about not hearing from Travers.

Just to give you all some encouragement, last cycle I applied for them in December and didn't hear a thing from them until February, when they sent me a "We're still looking at applications" holding email, and another of the same in March. I then got an email inviting me to an interview in the middle of May.

Unfortunately, I got rejected after the second interview, but anyway the main point is they do seem to just take a long time to sift through all the applications, so don't lose hope!

(Also, if it comes to it, please feel free to private message me for more info on the interview(s)).

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi all, I've been lurking on here for a while (I'm just pretty shy) but I've been seeing a lot of posts about not hearing from Travers.

Just to give you all some encouragement, last cycle I applied for them in December and didn't hear a thing from them until February, when they sent me a "We're still looking at applications" holding email, and another of the same in March. I then got an email inviting me to an interview in the middle of May.

Unfortunately, I got rejected after the second interview, but anyway the main point is they do seem to just take a long time to sift through all the applications, so don't lose hope!

(Also, if it comes to it, please feel free to private message me for more info on the interview(s)).

Thank you for your insight and welcome to the forum!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hope3345

SportsThoughts

Star Member
    Jun 4, 2019

This was surprisingly similar to my experience with TS. Applied in May, received 2 update emails and 6 months later I was invited to interview, with both interviews taking place within 7 days!

Don't give up hope folks!

KatieCCM

Star Member
    Mar 12, 2019
    I’m waiting on an outcome from A&O and am feeling restless (and overthinking as always)!

Do grad recruitment typically send out rejections before offers etc. Are these done by email or by phone call?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I’m waiting on an outcome from A&O and am feeling restless (and overthinking as always)!

Do grad recruitment typically send out rejections before offers etc. Are these done by email or by phone call?
    I'm not sure about A&O but typically offers are by phone while rejections are often by email. It's not an exact science ever with timing but often offers will be made first.

Reactions: Long Dinh
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.