Help buying/choosing professional clothing (especially for women)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Any recommendations for a tailor that you guys frequent? @Daniel Boden @Adam Gilchrist @males
    Tbf for simple things like getting trousers taken up or sleeves shortened, most tailors would be fine and would do a good job so I'd recommend just going to whichever is closer/cheaper for you!

Although, I imagine when I make the move to London and start working I'll find a favourite!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    In the world of high end shoes, 600 quid is pretty entry level.
    I beg to differ. In the sale and sample sales, there is no need to spend anything like that. Everything high end goes to 50% off pretty much straight away in the sales - except Manolo, which in the over £600 bracket tend to be more decorative than a law firm would like. And you can get Manolo for a min of 30% off anyway. Even Louboutin goes to 40% except the classics, which you can easily buy on Vestiaire for way less. (I've got this...)

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I beg to differ. In the sale and sample sales, there is no need to spend anything like that. Everything high end goes to 50% off pretty much straight away in the sales - except Manolo, which in the over £600 bracket tend to be more decorative than a law firm would like. And you can get Manolo for a min of 30% off anyway. Even Louboutin goes to 40% except the classics, which you can easily buy on Vestiaire for way less. (I've got this...)
    I was referring to the retail price. Of course prices will differ if an item is on sale. Not everyone fits in sample sale sizes either.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    😍😍😍

Teach me more 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Jess you should look at shopping from designer outlets like Cheshire Oaks and Bicester Village - can get cracking discounts (40/50/60%) and Bicester especially has loads of top-end brands. We're planning a weekend down there as soon as we can travel!
    That’s literally my hell on earth. I love shoes (my nickname is Imelda because of my shoe obsession) but loathe shopping and avoid places like that like the plague. Thank god for online shopping 😂😂😂

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    That’s literally my hell on earth. I love shoes (my nickname is Imelda because of my shoe obsession) but loathe shopping and avoid places like that like the plague. Thank god for online shopping 😂😂😂
    Haha I'm normally the exact same but would actually recommend Bicester Village if you haven't been already as you can actually make quite a nice day of it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Haha I'm normally the exact same but would actually recommend Bicester Village if you haven't been already as you can actually make quite a nice day of it!
    I don’t think anything could ever convince me. I’d much prefer the faff of online shopping and return systems than going anywhere where there’s lots of people shopping. It’s like people leave their brains and manners at home when they go shopping 😂

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Certainly for men, it tops out around/before £600. A pair of black Oxfords from Crockett & Jones is about £580. C&J are probably the best in the business, unless you want to get into proper handmade stuff/fashion house produce which is ultra-niche/less good quality anyway. Even below that, Loake and the like can be had for a couple of hundred, and if you look after those shoes, they last an absolute age.
    Church's are also a shout here - Oxfords start at about £410, I'm swithering between buying a pair of them vs another pair of trainers at the moment!

Edit: my heart says trainers, head says Oxfords :oops:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To people reading this and getting worried you have to spend £400+ on a pair of shoes, you really don't have to.

Just make sure you shoes are smart, not scuffed, polished (if appropriate) and well heeled. Most people won't notice if your shoes are £50 or £500 and even those that do notice are not going to care enough - they will care about your work, not how many £50 notes you dropped to purchase a pair of shoes.

Reactions: Alison C and Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    To people reading this and getting worried you have to spend £400+ on a pair of shoes, you really don't have to.

Just make sure you shoes are smart, not scuffed, polished (if appropriate) and well heeled. Most people won't notice if your shoes are £50 or £500 and even those that do notice are not going to care enough - they will care about your work, not how many £50 notes you dropped to purchase a pair of shoes.
    Completely agree!

I should've made this clearer in my preceding comments: you do not need to buy expensive stuff and you will not be judged if your outfit is not 'expensive enough'. I did my Travers Smith interview in a <£50 ASOS suit and shoes that cost about £40 that I got in the Clarks sale, and I've also done events wearing in an expensive suit and a pair of loafers that I really can't justify having bought - it's never made a blind bit of difference. Anyone who says otherwise is talking shi... nonsense.

Focus your energies on doing the best you can when interacting with firms: being enthusiastic, asking questions, engaging, giving good responses at interviews etc. Superficial things aren't important.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Just in regards the above, for anyone who isn't familiar with it, SmartWorks is a great resource for those who need a formal interview outfit/ outfits for vacation schemes but who aren't able to afford it themselves - you're given access to free outfits which are yours to own and keep. It's only for women, but they have 'stores' in most major UK cities and they're honestly great - I would highly encourage anyone who feels they might need help to reach out to them :)

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Has anyone watched Industry by HBO on BBC iPlayer? This discussion on clothing reminds me of a scene where one of the grads on the show get made fun of by someone senior for his Ted Baker suit and ngl that terrified me

• Wow

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Has anyone watched Industry by HBO on BBC iPlayer? This discussion on clothing reminds me of a scene where one of the grads on the show get made fun of by someone senior for his Ted Baker suit and ngl that terrified me
    One of the plusses that law has over banking is that from what I've heard, those kinds of comments are very rare and there tends to be a much more collaborative culture in law firms so I wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as you are dressed smartly and are polite and courteous you'll be fine 99% of the time, the other 1% being where, as @Adam Gilchrist says, it'll just be a tw@t taking out his own frustrations on you and most of the time those people are weeded out of the firm before too long anyway

Last edited:

Lauren2

Valued Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Hello!

As VSs might potentially be in person this summer, I’ve realised I desperately need to update my wardrobe.

Does anyone have recommendations for good places to buy office-wear clothing, particularly for women? I know Zara, H&M and M&S can be decent low-cost high-street options but I worry that the quality won’t be as good? Is this something that other people notice as well (just bc I’ve heard of stories of people judging others for not wearing a tailored designer suit lol)?

Also what is appropriate clothing generally for the office? I feel like it’s harder for women because although there’s more choice, there’s also potentially more ways to go wrong! Are coloured suits/shirts acceptable? Boucle jackets? A nice midi dress? What is too casual? I feel as though I’ve seen a mix of those amongst professionals but at the same time have also seen a lot more formal attire…

Previous internships I’ve experienced were a lot more informal in comparison to commercial law!

It would be so great and helpful to hear suggestions - I’m someone who enjoys fashion/dressing nicely but I’ve never really shopped properly for professional clothing (as you can likely tell)!

Thanks so much in advance! :)
    Hey, I'd recommend H&M, ASOS and Zara as the best places to look for affordable workwear. H&M has a workwear section which I'd say is far more 'work appropriate' for the legal world than many of the dresses/ blouses ASOS features in their section (do have a glance for lols). I've always found the quality of all three to be pretty good. My favourite 'work dress' was actually £15 from Primark and its always worth a browse of their workwear section, although their quality can be not so amazing so perhaps a place to be more selective - there are finds to be had though!

I used to only wear smart black trousers and a blazer, but honestly it really just isn't who I am and what I feel comfortable in, so I'll often wear colours I prefer (browns, neutrals, white/ cream) to work now - such as a roll neck and smart trousers or a smart maxi skirt, although the dress code for law firms can vary and where I work is perhaps at the somewhat more casual end. For interviews, I am often tempted to go back to this, but I wouldn't deem it necessary for every day of a vacation scheme.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.