Help buying/choosing professional clothing (especially for women)

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hello!

As VSs might potentially be in person this summer, I’ve realised I desperately need to update my wardrobe.

Does anyone have recommendations for good places to buy office-wear clothing, particularly for women? I know Zara, H&M and M&S can be decent low-cost high-street options but I worry that the quality won’t be as good? Is this something that other people notice as well (just bc I’ve heard of stories of people judging others for not wearing a tailored designer suit lol)?

Also what is appropriate clothing generally for the office? I feel like it’s harder for women because although there’s more choice, there’s also potentially more ways to go wrong! Are coloured suits/shirts acceptable? Boucle jackets? A nice midi dress? What is too casual? I feel as though I’ve seen a mix of those amongst professionals but at the same time have also seen a lot more formal attire…

Previous internships I’ve experienced were a lot more informal in comparison to commercial law!

It would be so great and helpful to hear suggestions - I’m someone who enjoys fashion/dressing nicely but I’ve never really shopped properly for professional clothing (as you can likely tell)!

Thanks so much in advance! :)
Just to add on to this, I've done a few legal internships where I had to wear formal clothes and found a lot of great things at Mango! Quite affordable too and they've lasted me a while ☺️

Reactions: Alison C

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Just to add on to this, I've done a few legal internships where I had to wear formal clothes and found a lot of great things at Mango! Quite affordable too and they've lasted me a while ☺️
    I agree - for women, the tailoring at Mango is great. And the sales are amazing for picking up really smart, understated, well-cut trousers, jackets etc at an absolute steal. As usual, the trick is to choose the simplest lines - cropped or full-length trousers in black or navy, single-breasted blazers which fit across the shoulders and at the waist (even if you rarely wear them done up), and smart tops maybe with a stripe. Some of the synthetic fabrics don't look as good as in the pictures - especially the silky polyester shirts which can get a bit clingy, and good prints can be harder to find. But Mango's basic tailoring is excellent, great value, and may even be machine washable if you put it on a delicates cycle.

Also: if you find something you really like, like a blazer, consider getting another one in the sale and maybe get your dry cleaner to change the buttons? That can instantly look just a bit less ordinary if that's what you are looking for. 😊

Reactions: AspiringSol and ab1147

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    Personally I would stay away from a brown suit and non-white shirts if you don't have first-hand experience of the dress code 'conventions' in a particular firm. They can vary greatly.

For an interview I would always err in the side of caution and wear a black or navy suit with a white shirt.

There are great tips in this thread and several brands I didn't know about. Thanks!

• 🤝

Abeda920

Mar 26, 2021
    I like the discussions about wardrobe choice. But while were on the topic of appearance can someone also brief me on how to look nice on camera? Like in terms of maybe the kind of makeup I should be wearing or any special skin prep that can make me look glowy.

Giena218

Mar 27, 2021
    I like the discussions about wardrobe choice. But while were on the topic of appearance can someone also brief me on how to look nice on camera? Like in terms of maybe the kind of makeup I should be wearing or any special skin prep that can make me look glowy.
    I take that youre not expecting your convention to be in person? Either way there's definitely ways to make sure you look your best on camera. Ill link u to an article that I read and its helped me look better for video conferences https://www.seattletimes.com/life/h...r-more-professional-while-video-conferencing/.
    Also, if you're asking for general skincare/makeup tips, then Ill say that experiment with what you like. In terms of skincare, experimenting means trying out different products and seeing how your skin reacts to them. I personally only use a cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen when Im going out. The only fancy thing I do is take collagen (from here incase u want to know: https://www.vitaminexpress.org/uk/). Despite not using any of the luxury serums that are constantly advertised, my skin looks fairly good I think.

Habiba

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 40
  • Jan 2, 2020
    I've wondered this for a while and guess this might not be a bad place to put it. Men in the City tend to wear navy suits only. Is this something which applies to women too? Would you be committing a cardinal sin if you wore a fully black suit in the office as a woman?

@Jessica Booker perhaps you'd know? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've wondered this for a while and guess this might not be a bad place to put it. Men in the City tend to wear navy suits only. Is this something which applies to women too? Would you be committing a cardinal sin if you wore a fully black suit in the office as a woman?

@Jessica Booker perhaps you'd know? :)
    No - doesn’t really apply to women in the way - I lived in black throughout my career in law firms and all of my jackets were black. Women tend to be able to wear most colours really, as long as it isn’t too bright/hot (I once wore a pillar box red dress in an emergency and I’ll never forget the looks that day 😂).

I have seen men where different coloured suits though - grey isn’t unusual, and different types of blue are possible outside of navy. I have seen men where black suits, so it isn’t unknown. I think these very strict “expectations” are changing really - and definitely so since most of us have now been seen in our homes not in full suits by clients. Also what becomes trendy changes people’s expectations - law firms are very different in terms of what people look like now than they did in the mid 00’s when I started out.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    No - doesn’t really apply to women in the way - I lived in black throughout my career in law firms and all of my jackets were black. Women tend to be able to wear most colours really, as long as it isn’t too bright/hot (I once wore a pillar box red dress in an emergency and I’ll never forget the looks that day 😂).

I have seen men where different coloured suits though - grey isn’t unusual, and different types of blue are possible outside of navy. I have seen men where black suits, so it isn’t unknown. I think these very strict “expectations” are changing really - and definitely so since most of us have now been seen in our homes not in full suits by clients. Also what becomes trendy changes people’s expectations - law firms are very different in terms of what people look like now than they did in the mid 00’s when I started out.
    Agree re suit colours - I prefer charcoal/ dark grey to navy personally. I used to have a black suit but never found myself wearing it, mainly for the reasons mentioned. I think the other advantage to a suit over a dress/ skirt etc is that a suit outfit can be changed dramatically with different shirt/ tie/ accessory combinations so you can kinda get away with not having millions of them.

I think charcoal is generally more versatile for different shirts and ties - I like more bright/ bold ties personally so a charcoal suit gives me more options :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I have SO MANY makeup recommendations 😂

Personally, I'd invest in a really good lightweight minimal coverage foundation. Evens your skin tone and gives you the glowy look while still looking like skin (personal favourites are the Armani Luminous Silk foundation and the Lancome Teint Idole foundation). On days when I really can't be bothered with foundation, I just use concealer to cover up my under eye circles and any blemishes (a really good full coverage one is the Too Faced Born This Way concealer). I'm going to be honest though, I only ever wore makeup on my first day and last day/interview day and mostly because it made me feel good and more confident. Nobody can really tell the difference between someone that's wearing makeup and isn't on camera so don't feel the need to do it everyday if you don't want to!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NLaw18, Law2022 and Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have SO MANY makeup recommendations 😂

Personally, I'd invest in a really good lightweight minimal coverage foundation. Evens your skin tone and gives you the glowy look while still looking like skin (personal favourites are the Armani Luminous Silk foundation and the Lancome Teint Idole foundation). On days when I really can't be bothered with foundation, I just use concealer to cover up my under eye circles and any blemishes (a really good full coverage one is the Too Faced Born This Way concealer). I'm going to be honest though, I only ever wore makeup on my first day and last day/interview day and mostly because it made me feel good and more confident. Nobody can really tell the difference between someone that's wearing makeup and isn't on camera so don't feel the need to do it everyday if you don't want to!
    I just cheat with the “touch up my appearance” function on Zoom 😂

• Haha

botticelli

Feb 14, 2021
    This isn't exactly clothing-related, but on the subject of general appearance, what are the conventions around ear piercings? I have two lobe piercings in each ear as well as one helix piercing. I tend only to wear studs or small hoops, and no one has commented on them / reacted negatively (at least as far as I am aware) during ACs / vacation schemes. However, these have all been virtual, where I suppose piercings would be less visible, so maybe they haven't been noticed. Would wearing these earrings in-person at a law firm be perceived negatively? Do US firms tend to be stricter on these kinds of things?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This isn't exactly clothing-related, but on the subject of general appearance, what are the conventions around ear piercings? I have two lobe piercings in each ear as well as one helix piercing. I tend only to wear studs or small hoops, and no one has commented on them / reacted negatively (at least as far as I am aware) during ACs / vacation schemes. However, these have all been virtual, where I suppose piercings would be less visible, so maybe they haven't been noticed. Would wearing these earrings in-person at a law firm be perceived negatively? Do you US firms tend to be stricter on these kinds of things?
    Generally I would say avoid hoops even if they are small, and just wear studs and make sure they are relatively subtle.

Don’t think it’s a case of US firms in general being stricter about these things. It will vary massively from firm to firm within a category. If you do attend things in the office, go with the conservative approach in the first couple of weeks and see what other people wear/do. You can always dial it up once you feel more comfortable as to whether it’s appropriate or not.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Speaking of office wear, what colours are appropriate? Obviously I know black, white, dark grey but would a pop of colour be appropriate? Is there anything I should avoid?
    Not really colours (unless it was neon or something overly bold) but just be mindful of anything overly patterned.

Reactions: ola830

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm curious to know what everyone's opinions on nose piercings would be? I only have a tiny stud in but should I play it safe and just take it out for the week?
    Depends on the firm, but to play it safe take it out on the first day or two and see if anyone else has one in. If they do, think about wearing it later in the week.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Firing this thread up again because it has been incredibly helpful so far.

This may be a silly question, but I was just wondering what type of hangbag/bag would be appropriate to bring into the office for vacation schemes? What colours, what styles, how big, what to avoid (if anything) etc. Another potentially silly question (probably me overthinking) but what should we bring with us in the bag, what are your go to everyday essentials that are needed to be brought from home?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Firing this thread up again because it has been incredibly helpful so far.

This may be a silly question, but I was just wondering what type of hangbag/bag would be appropriate to bring into the office for vacation schemes? What colours, what styles, how big, what to avoid (if anything) etc. Another potentially silly question (probably me overthinking) but what should we bring with us in the bag, what are your go to everyday essentials that are needed to be brought from home?
    Handbags are probably one of the things you could get away with most, as you are unlikely to take it to a client meeting/it gets put away as soon as you are at your desk.

My handbag contents are pretty predictable. If I am not taking a laptop I have a relatively small bag with the basics in - phone(s), charger, money/cards, bit of make up, tissues, face mask, keys, pen. Everything work related, I always kept at work so never had a need to carry that around, although I can understand that might be very different these days if people are having to pack up their "desk" at the end of each day.

I have had bigger handbags to take my laptop and equipment in, but old age/a dodgy back meant I started to carry them properly in a back pack/wheely case rather than weighing down one side of my body (which was part of the reason for the back pain).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.