Help buying/choosing professional clothing (especially for women)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Firing this thread up again because it has been incredibly helpful so far.

This may be a silly question, but I was just wondering what type of hangbag/bag would be appropriate to bring into the office for vacation schemes? What colours, what styles, how big, what to avoid (if anything) etc. Another potentially silly question (probably me overthinking) but what should we bring with us in the bag, what are your go to everyday essentials that are needed to be brought from home?
    When I did an in person scheme in 2019 I took a large handbag that could fit notepads, my pencil case and my water bottle. If my third year schemes had been in person I would have ditched the handbag for something more functional like a standard rucksack/laptop bag. Handbags look nicer but as Jessica has said it’s a bit annoying to carry into work everyday.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Firing this thread up again because it has been incredibly helpful so far.

This may be a silly question, but I was just wondering what type of hangbag/bag would be appropriate to bring into the office for vacation schemes? What colours, what styles, how big, what to avoid (if anything) etc. Another potentially silly question (probably me overthinking) but what should we bring with us in the bag, what are your go to everyday essentials that are needed to be brought from home?
    If you are buying a handbag, there is no need to get anything expensive: most of the high street stores (Zara, Mango, Stories, etc etc) will have a good selection of work-appropriate bags that won't cost a fortune but will help you feel professional, in pleather, leather or a textile. Go for black, navy or beige (you can also get away with red if you are feeling bold). If you are in London/on public transport, I'd strongly recommend a small to medium-sized crossbody bag that you don't need to open to find your phone/travelcard if possible. It's so easy to be pickpocketed if you are in a new routine. If the bag doesn't have an accessible outside pocket then maybe find a way to organise it so you aren't vulnerable. But if you have all your basics strapped to you in the crossbody then you can relax.

If you choose a tote bag to carry your water, lunch, heels etc then I'd recommend finding something with a zip as again, it's easy to drop things. Like @Jessica Booker, I'd recommend a backpack, particularly if you need to carry a laptop/ipad. But you don't need to shell out if you have something that will do. No one is going to hire you or not (at this stage) based on how your luggage looks, but being well-organised is worth investing some time in.

In terms of contents, in my small bag I have phone and headphones, wallet, work ID badge, tissues, hand sanitiser, a glass nail file, pens, a mini notebook/post-its and a Muji zip pochette for a tampon, hair clip, basic emergency makeup, painkillers, USB (this can be really useful, and it's so annoying if you don't have one when you need it), safety pins (who needs a clothing emergency?), sample perfumes, a plaster or two. I also carry foam earplugs as I like to be able to concentrate in a busy office if needs be. In my larger bag, I have water (though I'm not great at keeping expensive bottles), more pens, more tissues, an extra fabric carrier bag (useful to go to the shops with etc), sometimes a book or iPad, more post-it notes and a mini umbrella. I sometimes wear Converse/wellies/etc and carry work shoes. Also possibly my laptop and charger, and a reusable picnic set so I don't always need to be throwing plastic cutlery away. In winter I also have a particular pocket where I keep gloves as I'm terrible about losing them and the only way is to be mega-organised; I have a similar policy for a sunglasses case in summer. I go through phases of carrying a Swiss Army knife and feeling really prepared (I always seem to need scissors) but this isn't great for security cameras/X-ray.

Also, I keep my house keys on a long lanyard that can be clipped onto my bag discreetly, because I had a phase of losing keys, which is best avoided. If I always know where they are, I can't lose them...

I am sure that over time, this will become something you find your way through. Vogue do a video series of 'in the bag' which is quite entertaining... in a fantasy sort of way...

Last edited:

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    heya thanks so much for all the replies, this has been massively helpful! just wondering whether dr martens would be appropriate footwear? the shoes rather than boots of course! i also have dr martens that have a platform but these might be more inappropriate? i am also really short and just cannot walk in heels unfortunately

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    heya thanks so much for all the replies, this has been massively helpful! just wondering whether dr martens would be appropriate footwear? the shoes rather than boots of course! i also have dr martens that have a platform but these might be more inappropriate? i am also really short and just cannot walk in heels unfortunately
    I think if they are black leather versions with laces in then that is fine. There are so many types of Dr Martens shoes and some are more professional looking than others.

The platform version can look a little bulky/less professional in my opinion, so I would probably not recommend them as much.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I agree with what Jess says - are you able to link the shoes if they are still available online?

If you are interested in any other styles, here are a few which caught my eye on a quick ASOS search (tried to filter for less pricey ones!!)

These first two I would recommend with tights. I only wear dresses and pencil skirts as a preference (comfort is key and I can't get on with trousers as well!) and I always wear black tights even with dresses which fit me mid-calf length. Because these shoes have some cut out detailing, I worry they might be 'a bit much' if they weren't worn with tights because, that way, the cut outs are less visible and they look more like just elegant flats.

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/as...ted-ballet-flats-in-black/prd/14695056?CTARef - these are similar to a pair I wore although I think mine didn't have the little gap on the sides of the shoe, they were a bit more enclosed if you know what I mean?

These next two are more of a loafer style, which I have never gone with personally but do like! I think they are a solid option which might offer you some comfort and these are a safe option for trousers too as they don't have the cut outs which I have flagged in the two styles above. These two options are un-fussy as well - I personally think these are slightly better than styles with big gold buckles and lots of tassel and fringed detailing.

I also found these court shoes on H&M's website

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0912258006.html - these are 6.5cm which equates to about 2.5 iches so they shouldn't be super high! What many people do is travel in flat/comfy shoes and just change into these in the bathroom when you get into the office. It also saves thin heeled shoes getting ruined in cracks in the pavement too as I have been there!

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0827760001.html - these are only 6cm in height.

Finally, these are more expensive and are leather but they are a court shoe with a lower heel from Mango

I actually found it quite hard to find some nice closed shoes in black with a low heel! I guess this time of year tends to be more about sandals etc but if you spot any others you like let us know! I know vacation scheme wardrobes can be tricky to put together!

I hope this helps a bit or gives you a little bit of shoe inspiration!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    All good recommendations from Alice. The points with shoes for women (which I don’t personally agree with, it’s just from my experience) are:

- go with closed toes
    - avoid platforms (whether platform stilettos or platform shoes)
    - avoid anything too “bulky” like wedges or very chunky heels
    - make sure they are well maintained
    - avoid really bright colours
    - make sure you are comfortable in them
    - generally wear tights of some form with them - there is still a bit of a thing about bare legs.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    All good recommendations from Alice. The points with shoes for women (which I don’t personally agree with, it’s just from my experience) are:

- go with closed toes
    - avoid platforms (whether platform stilettos or platform shoes)
    - avoid anything too “bulky” like wedges or very chunky heels
    - make sure they are well maintained
    - avoid really bright colours
    - make sure you are comfortable in them
    - generally wear tights of some form with them - there is still a bit of a thing about bare legs.
    Gotta say, I think us guys have an easier time than women when it comes to this stuff 😂

Cap toe Oxfords, suit with or without tie and we're off to the races! Haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Gotta say, I think us guys have an easier time than women when it comes to this stuff 😂

Cap toe Oxfords, suit with or without tie and we're off to the races! Haha
    Think women generally have much more comfortable options though - no need for collars or full suits!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Think women generally have much more comfortable options though - no need for collars or full suits!
    Yeah that's a fair point.

The summer can often be grim for wearing a suit too as I think the general view is that linen is too casual for the office! Shirts can also be remarkably warm too, because I have both my arms and my back heavily tattooed I need to wear either a plain tshirt under my shirt or buy extra-thick shirts, no laughing matter in 25+c weather haha

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    I agree with what Jess says - are you able to link the shoes if they are still available online?

If you are interested in any other styles, here are a few which caught my eye on a quick ASOS search (tried to filter for less pricey ones!!)

These first two I would recommend with tights. I only wear dresses and pencil skirts as a preference (comfort is key and I can't get on with trousers as well!) and I always wear black tights even with dresses which fit me mid-calf length. Because these shoes have some cut out detailing, I worry they might be 'a bit much' if they weren't worn with tights because, that way, the cut outs are less visible and they look more like just elegant flats.

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/as...ted-ballet-flats-in-black/prd/14695056?CTARef - these are similar to a pair I wore although I think mine didn't have the little gap on the sides of the shoe, they were a bit more enclosed if you know what I mean?

These next two are more of a loafer style, which I have never gone with personally but do like! I think they are a solid option which might offer you some comfort and these are a safe option for trousers too as they don't have the cut outs which I have flagged in the two styles above. These two options are un-fussy as well - I personally think these are slightly better than styles with big gold buckles and lots of tassel and fringed detailing.

I also found these court shoes on H&M's website

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0912258006.html - these are 6.5cm which equates to about 2.5 iches so they shouldn't be super high! What many people do is travel in flat/comfy shoes and just change into these in the bathroom when you get into the office. It also saves thin heeled shoes getting ruined in cracks in the pavement too as I have been there!

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0827760001.html - these are only 6cm in height.

Finally, these are more expensive and are leather but they are a court shoe with a lower heel from Mango

I actually found it quite hard to find some nice closed shoes in black with a low heel! I guess this time of year tends to be more about sandals etc but if you spot any others you like let us know! I know vacation scheme wardrobes can be tricky to put together!

I hope this helps a bit or gives you a little bit of shoe inspiration!!
    ah thanks so much!

the shoes i have in mind are similar to these (i think a bit more feminine) https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/14345001

but the platform ones i have too are these https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/25234001 but yeah these are probably a bit inappropriate!

i am terribly indecisive so struggling with having so much freedom with clothes haha, kinda wish i could just wear a simple suit and shoes everyday!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    ah thanks so much!

the shoes i have in mind are similar to these (i think a bit more feminine) https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/14345001

but the platform ones i have too are these https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/25234001 but yeah these are probably a bit inappropriate!

i am terribly indecisive so struggling with having so much freedom with clothes haha, kinda wish i could just wear a simple suit and shoes everyday!
    I reckon the top ones are fine! They just look like sensible shoes to me! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    ah thanks so much!

I think the first pair are perfectly fine/appropriate. I personally would advise against the platform pair though (though they aren’t that different, but platforms get a bit of a weird rep)

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    ah thanks so much!

You can 'wear a simple suit and shoes every day' - but you need to get the simple suit. No reason that if that works for you, you can't just get your 'uniform' sorted and be done with it! Look at Steve Jobs - no suit, but a uniform, the same every day. Zuckerberg too - these guys don't have time to make decisions about clothes when they know what suits them. Lots of successful people do just that. But maybe test the waters first...

Last edited:

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Hey everyone! I know that this is an older thread so I’m not sure how much luck I’m going to get for responses, but I am floundering a bit regarding appropriate clothing for a vac scheme.

I already work in an office so I have some clothes, but I feel like my workplace is very relaxed compared to firms. I don’t want to spend on new clothes when I could try to use some that I’ve already got, but I’m not sure if these are appropriate so I wanted your opinions and thoughts!

For context, the dress code for the firm is business casual (idk what that actually means for women😅). Here are a few pieces that I’m doubting:
    0D4ADEDB-973A-4A3F-A9DA-D93B51B59B24.jpeg
    It’s a flowy kind of skirt and is matte. Is this too dressy? Even in summer I live in black so this is one of my warm weather options lol

1EB2F984-F7AE-40BD-B2D6-05C2C7F0CCA4.jpeg
    is this too casual?

EAAB290D-DAA5-4B40-8619-D08C7BE1B1F4.jpeg
    And finally, is this too short 😂 it’s like a finger width above the knee. Are all skirts supposed to be knee length?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any responses! I never thought I’d have to stress so much about this 👽

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone! I know that this is an older thread so I’m not sure how much luck I’m going to get for responses, but I am floundering a bit regarding appropriate clothing for a vac scheme.

I already work in an office so I have some clothes, but I feel like my workplace is very relaxed compared to firms. I don’t want to spend on new clothes when I could try to use some that I’ve already got, but I’m not sure if these are appropriate so I wanted your opinions and thoughts!

For context, the dress code for the firm is business casual (idk what that actually means for women😅). Here are a few pieces that I’m doubting:
    View attachment 3822
    It’s a flowy kind of skirt and is matte. Is this too dressy? Even in summer I live in black so this is one of my warm weather options lol

View attachment 3823
    is this too casual?

View attachment 3824
    And finally, is this too short 😂 it’s like a finger width above the knee. Are all skirts supposed to be knee length?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any responses! I never thought I’d have to stress so much about this 👽
    Both the top two look more than fine to me.

My initial reaction to the last skirt was that it was probably too short. But if you are saying it is only a finger's width (rather than length) above the knee, this will be fine, especially if worn with thicker tights.

Reactions: Alison C

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    That’s a relief to hear, thank you so much!
    I'd also say, never underestimate the value of a good blazer. Maybe start hunting in charity shops, and check out places like M&S. I have a blazer I got from eBay at least 10 years ago and it's still one of the first things I pull out when I want to look a bit more businesslike. @Jessica Booker is bang on with the opaque tights too, they hide a multitude of sins. (And we both love this thread...!)

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    I'd also say, never underestimate the value of a good blazer. Maybe start hunting in charity shops, and check out places like M&S. I have a blazer I got from eBay at least 10 years ago and it's still one of the first things I pull out when I want to look a bit more businesslike. @Jessica Booker is bang on with the opaque tights too, they hide a multitude of sins. (And we both love this thread...!)
    Ooh thank you! I’ll definitely be on the lookout for a blazer - it’s definitely the one thing that’s missing from my wardrobe 😀

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.