Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just wanted to update everyone. I am fortunate to know Jen, the Graduate Recruitment Manager at Hogan Lovells and wanted to get her views on the point about linking your answers back to the firm.

Jen was pretty clear in saying it wasn't needed. Jen's advice was to keep the wording to answering the question. She did mention if it was done, the extra information section would be the best place to do it, but that even then it wasn't necessary to do so.

A big relief as I have been advising candidates not to unnecessarily link back to the firm!

liam bint

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 11, 2020
    Hi. What is best to include in the final question? - "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?"

Is this a space to include things about myself e.g. hobbies? Or is it a chance to sell myself by further emphasising the skills I have that would be beneficial to the firm?

Thank You

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi. What is best to include in the final question? - "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?"

Is this a space to include things about myself e.g. hobbies? Or is it a chance to sell myself by further emphasising the skills I have that would be beneficial to the firm?

Thank You

Absolutely anything that you think is relevant that you haven’t had to mention previously. I see a whole range of subjects covered in this section.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I have just attended a virtual session with Hogan Lovells and I thought I can share some information.

Everyone is sent a WG Test and you need 80 percentile or above for your application to be reviewed by GR. If you failed the test, you will be notified almost immediately. GR advised not to use bullet points in the work experience section. All law fairs, events, presentations, Inside Sherpa schemes to be included in the voluntary experience section. If you had an unpaid experience, but you were doing real-life work and it lasted at least a couple of weeks, you can include it in the work experience section. At the moment they are only reviewing the applications for the winter vacation scheme and they will only start reviewing the summer vacation apps and direct contact apps once the winter vac scheme has started (for that reason they also mentioned not to worry if you had applied for the summer scheme or the direct TC and you have not received a WG Test). Additionally, they said that if there are 8 amazing candidates and only 7 places for the winter vac scheme left on the last assessment day, then someone could just be asked to move to the summer vac scheme. (this was just an example they gave.)

I hope that someone will find this useful.

Hi, thanks for this info! I am little confused though as I contacted the grad rec and was told I was in the 59 percentile, but I have not received any email or notification that I have failed it (I did it last week). She also said they haven't started reviewing the TC applications yet... hmm

Fran

Star Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    I have not yet. However, someone asked GR today during the law fair and they said that they are reviewing the apps now and we should expect to hear back in the next couple of weeks.
    Thanks for sharing for that information. I originally heard at a previous event that applicants will know whether they have a place by early November but I guess they must be running a bit behind.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I have not yet. However, someone asked GR today during the law fair and they said that they are reviewing the apps now and we should expect to hear back in the next couple of weeks.
    Ah thanks for letting us know. Did they say anything else about the programme - do you happen to know how many places there are?

Fran

Star Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Yes, you are right. I think I attended the same event when they originally said that we should hear back two weeks after the deadline and that the programme will start at the end of November. However, when someone asked them in the chatbox during the fair today they said that they are still reviewing the apps and we should receive a response within the next couple of weeks.
    Oh okay that is good to know, thanks for sharing that

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi @Jessica Booker, I am currently drafting my HL application and I had a question regarding HL's "Describe a time when you were working in a diverse team" question. Should I be choosing an experience with an explicit goal of promoting diversity or can I choose something where I have worked in a diverse team but the aim was something completely different (ie: it was to do with gaining corporate sponsorship for our club)?

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I am currently drafting my HL application and I had a question regarding HL's "Describe a time when you were working in a diverse team" question. Should I be choosing an experience with an explicit goal of promoting diversity or can I choose something where I have worked in a diverse team but the aim was something completely different (ie: it was to do with gaining corporate sponsorship for our club)?

I got invited to the AC and I had written about a time I worked in a diverse team to do something that didn't explicitly promote diversity. I heavily focused on what the diversity added to the experience and why it was enjoyable though, so you probably would be fine with the example you're thinking of!

I think this question is just trying to see whether you will fit in HL when it comes to working with their often very different lawyers and international clients.

Reactions: aspiring_solicitor

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Has anyone requested a Watson Glaser report from HL? I'd like to see mine but I'm not sure if HL is as happy to provide this as Links is. I'm still waiting to hear back from their HL BaSE programme and the last thing I would like to do is make a negative impression.

Reactions: Polzovatel
    D

Deleted member 2707

I got invited to the AC and I had written about a time I worked in a diverse team to do something that didn't explicitly promote diversity. I heavily focused on what the diversity added to the experience and why it was enjoyable though, so you probably would be fine with the example you're thinking of!

I think this question is just trying to see whether you will fit in HL when it comes to working with their often very different lawyers and international clients.

Thank you for your response! Did you talk a lot about what you did in the team or what the team did and the accomplishment of the team seeing as it is asking about teamwork?

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to clarify something just in case any of you are concerned about the percentile pass park for Hogan like I was. A candidate in this forum gave some useful information after speaking to Hogan but I think they misheard. The candidate said that you have to score in the 80th percentile which I thought was rather high. They have just sent me email, you have to score in the 18th percentile to be considered not 80th.

That's surprising. Do you know if they consider WG scores in making AC invites or if it's a pass/fail thing?

D

Deleted member 2707

For the section on 'tell us something that makes you stand out', I want to talk about my legal internships as I feel that does distinguish me from the crowd. However, it seems as if I would be repeating my Work Experience section. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts about this and if I should focus on letting my personality shine through rather than my legal achievements?

IceFloe

Star Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Has anyone requested a Watson Glaser report from HL? I'd like to see mine but I'm not sure if HL is as happy to provide this as Links is. I'm still waiting to hear back from their HL BaSE programme and the last thing I would like to do is make a negative impression.

I requested my WG report from them on the 2nd of November and heard back on the 11th. So they'll happily send through your results but it might take a while to get back to you. At this point you'll probably hear your application outcome sooner than your WG report.

Reactions: Manifesting

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    I did the Watson Glaser for HL Summer Vac Scheme on 23 September 2020. Still no word from them. Anyone else that has been waiting for so long?

They haven't started screening summer vacation schemes applications yet. They have just finished winter, and are currently screening their new HL BaSe applications and aim to let people know by the end of the week/next week. They might start screening after that for summer. Last year I applied for summer vac on the deadline and got invited to AC exactly a month later.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Fran, Manifesting and nicole88

KGNines

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    Hi guys. I was rejected from the Winter Vac Scheme so was hoping to reapply for the Summer Vac Scheme (as the website says that students can apply twice to the firm). Yet, I cannot make a new application through apply4law. Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Thank you :)

The general rule for law firm applications is that you can only make one application for either a vac scheme or training contract per cycle, so you'll have to wait until next year to apply for Hogan again.

In regard to applying twice I think this was meant to mean that you could apply for the HL Base Programme as well as a vac scheme or TC however, the deadline for this has passed.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: EZ_D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.