Hogan Lovells Application 2020/21

PP27

Distinguished Member
Oct 11, 2019
In HL work experience section, it only wants paid work experience. However, there is a section for open days, voluntary work and employer presentations. I have an informal mini pupillage and some schools based work experience that I have done. Do you think i should put this in the open day section?

R vmog

Oct 12, 2020
Hi,

I was just wondering if these were the HL summer vacation scheme application questions for this year?

Thank you,
  1. We are a global firm that works together with mutual respect and collegiality. Describe a time when you have enjoyed collaborating with people from different cultures and backgrounds or with different personalities. What made the experience so enjoyable? (Max. 250 words)
  2. We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people’s expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments? (Max. 250 words)
  3. Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit. (Max. 250 words)
  4. Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

Reactions: PP27

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
In HL work experience section, it only wants paid work experience. However, there is a section for open days, voluntary work and employer presentations. I have an informal mini pupillage and some schools based work experience that I have done. Do you think i should put this in the open day section?

I put my legal work experience/ school based work experience in the open day section as I was not paid for it... I was confused too but as it specifically said paid work experience only I did not want to risk being penalised by putting unpaid work experience into that section!

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hi,

I was just wondering if these were the HL summer vacation scheme application questions for this year?

Thank you,
  1. We are a global firm that works together with mutual respect and collegiality. Describe a time when you have enjoyed collaborating with people from different cultures and backgrounds or with different personalities. What made the experience so enjoyable? (Max. 250 words)
  2. We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people’s expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments? (Max. 250 words)
  3. Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit. (Max. 250 words)
  4. Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

Hi, yes these are the questions :)

Bethany

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Hi everyone, very new to this and wondered if someone might be able to help. Massively stressed about submitting my application for Hogan Lovells (hence my delay).

I am struggling with the second question ‘we set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other peoples expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?’

If anyone has any guidance it would be greatly appreciated! I have already answered this, but feel I’m probably on the wrong track.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi everyone, very new to this and wondered if someone might be able to help. Massively stressed about submitting my application for Hogan Lovells (hence my delay).

I am struggling with the second question ‘we set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other peoples expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?’

If anyone has any guidance it would be greatly appreciated! I have already answered this, but feel I’m probably on the wrong track.

This question is just a complicated rephrasing of "tell us about a time you had to manage conflicting obligations". Think of a time something suddenly came up and your entire schedule got thrown out the window and you had to scramble to do everything properly in the short time you had. Write it in STAR format.

I just got the TC offer from HL off the winter vac scheme, and my example for this question was related to some work experience Id done. The client wanted part of the work done sooner, so something I thought I could do at the end of the week needed to be done that day, and this rippled through my timing for everything else on my to do list. I wrote about how I managed my time, delegated some of my tasks to people who had greater capacity for the work, and tried to manage expectations with my supervisor.

Bethany

Star Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    This question is just a complicated rephrasing of "tell us about a time you had to manage conflicting obligations". Think of a time something suddenly came up and your entire schedule got thrown out the window and you had to scramble to do everything properly in the short time you had. Write it in STAR format.

I just got the TC offer from HL off the winter vac scheme, and my example for this question was related to some work experience Id done. The client wanted part of the work done sooner, so something I thought I could do at the end of the week needed to be done that day, and this rippled through my timing for everything else on my to do list. I wrote about how I managed my time, delegated some of my tasks to people who had greater capacity for the work, and tried to manage expectations with my supervisor.
    Thank you so much for this it is extremely helpful. Congratulations on the TC offer :) you must be over the moon.

HCY

Star Member
    Aug 17, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I feel like the Hogan Lovells application is one of the longest I’ve ever had to do which is why I’ve put it off for so long. I don’t know if I’ll have a chance now since it’s so late but I will still be giving it a shot.

Does anyone know how to approach the last question that states: ‘please detail any further info that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in light of the many others we receive what makes you stand out from the crowd?’

I feel like all the other questions draw upon what makes us stand out, does anyone know what they’re looking for here? There isn’t a word count for it either.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.