How important are grades for vac schemes and training contracts?

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
There's really little information provided here for anyone to determine your chances. Even if we had a detailed CV, it's still difficult to conclusively say because a lot of the 'success factors' that go into a successful application go beyond your CV. A well written application, for example, plays a huge part.

For most firms, grades set the 'minimum' required for any hopeful applicant. So you'll normally need a 2:1 average or above to have a decent shot at applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. If your grades are better than the minimum 2:1, it'll help your application but it will not be as decisive as compared to an applicant with a 2:2 being considered alongside an applicant with a 2:1.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    My friend secured a training contract at a top firm with a 2:2. He has very good work experience and is an excellent communicator so I guess he stood out.

I averaged a 2:1 in my first and third year and graduated with 2:1 (62%) but I have a 2:2 in my second year. I am still able to make it past the application stage at many international city firms.

The moral of the story is that grades are not the be-all and the end-all for every firm.

Last edited:

Amy.

Nov 25, 2019
    I’m a bit worried about my alevel grading being branded as “poor” .However , I am set to achieve a first in my degree overall ..should I be worried about being declined in city firms for a training contract

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.