How long does an application normally take you?

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey everyone,

I wonder quite a lot whether I spend way too long on applications and I think that means I don't get enough done. In January I only managed to send out 3-4 because of this. It takes me at least a week and sometimes long to research a firm and write up. I think a lot of that is because i take forever to write and constantly scrap my sentences. For example I spent the whole day on one application today and have literally written a paragraph...

Any tips/thoughts would be great :)

SKH9065

Mar 13, 2018
Personally, I spend roughly a week on each application, maybe more depending on the questions asked. Some of my friends spend around half a day and have received offers and others have spent longer.
It usually takes me longer to complete an app because I wait a couple of days after my final draft so that I can review it again with fresh eyes, even if I have only changed one word.
All it takes is one successful app so I would just say do as much as you can.. I personally think 3-4 good quality apps are much better than 8-10 rushed apps!

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: MightyMoe

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
For me it depends on what else I have on and how much time in a day I have. If I'm really focused I can get one out in just over a weekend. If it's during the week then it'll probably take the whole week and then some to finish it. Also depends on how many questions in the app form and how much I can copy paste. I remember Macfarlanes, Allen & Overy and Shearman all taking a bit longer whilst HSF was simple.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey everyone,

I wonder quite a lot whether I spend way too long on applications and I think that means I don't get enough done. In January I only managed to send out 3-4 because of this. It takes me at least a week and sometimes long to research a firm and write up. I think a lot of that is because i take forever to write and constantly scrap my sentences. For example I spent the whole day on one application today and have literally written a paragraph...

Any tips/thoughts would be great :)

Hey! I understand that everyone works differently but my technique is to pile up all the firms I am interested in applying to (whether that would be a VS or TC) into one table, sign up (obvs) and copy/paste all the questions. I will then start with the firms that have longer application forms (3/4 firms to be exact) and research/compile all the relevant information into one document/ attempt to relate the firm to myself/why I am interested (this will take me one week). The following week, I start drafting my application answers and show my friends/careers service @ uni and wait for advice on my first draft (redraft until perfect). Whilst I am waiting for friends/career service to respond, I then start on the next batch of applications and continue the above process again.

I find cover letters alot easier to do so try and complete those once I finish the longer/shorter application questions. Also, this comes with practice so the more you do/the easier it will become. I hope this helps! Good Luck

• ℹ️
Reactions: MightyMoe

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Personally, I spend roughly a week on each application, maybe more depending on the questions asked. Some of my friends spend around half a day and have received offers and others have spent longer.
It usually takes me longer to complete an app because I wait a couple of days after my final draft so that I can review it again with a fresh eyes, even if I have only changed one word.
All it takes is one successful app so I would just say do as much as you can.. I personally think 3-4 good quality apps are much better than 8-10 rushed apps!

Thanks that's reassuring! Yeah I regret not taking a fresh look at applications, I think typos caused a couple of my rejections last time. It's frustrating because I was sure I checked it over so many times before I sent if off. I'm thinking I now may start printing it off first.

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey! I understand that everyone works differently but my technique is to pile up all the firms I am interested in applying to (whether that would be a VS or TC) into one table, sign up (obvs) and copy/paste all the questions. I will then start with the firms that have longer application forms (3/4 firms to be exact) and research/compile all the relevant information into one document/ attempt to relate the firm to myself/why I am interested (this will take me one week). The following week, I start drafting my application answers and show my friends/careers service @ uni and wait for advice on my first draft (redraft until perfect). Whilst I am waiting for friends/career service to respond, I then start on the next batch of applications and continue the above process again.

I find cover letters alot easier to do so try and complete those once I finish the longer/shorter application questions. Also, this comes with practice so the more you do/the easier it will become. I hope this helps! Good Luck

I like that method, I do something a bit similar in that I compile all the information into one document for a firm, then I condense it and then I start writing. Do you find your uni careers service helpful? I've never really looked at mine.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I like that method, I do something a bit similar in that I compile all the information into one document for a firm, then I condense it and then I start writing. Do you find your uni careers service helpful? I've never really looked at mine.

Yup I have noticed it’s a lot easier! Yes, very helpful, surprisingly... Hahahaha

SKH9065

Mar 13, 2018
Thanks that's reassuring! Yeah I regret not taking a fresh look at applications, I think typos caused a couple of my rejections last time. It's frustrating because I was sure I checked it over so many times before I sent if off. I'm thinking I now may start printing it off first.

Have you tried using websites like http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/ and https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ ?

These help me so much when checking for typos and missed words. Before using these websites, I found that when reading over my apps (even a printed version), I would read what I thought was written and not what was actually written. I now copy and paste my app into the website tool and a robot will read it out. Definitely worth a try! :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jai C., Sandrou and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Have you tried using websites like http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/ and https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ ?

These help me so much when checking for typos and missed words. Before using these websites, I found that when reading over my apps (even a printed version), I would read what I thought was written and not what was actually written. I now copy and paste my app into the website tool and a robot will read it out. Definitely worth a try! :)

Thanks for sharing these. My brother uses Dragon Systems software for his medical essays but I didn't realise there were free ones out there!

MightyMoe

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Thank you! I did read some writing advice recently that was all about trying to write like you speak so it's clearer. This will be perfect for that.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.