How much of it is about application technique?

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
Hi

I'm looking forward to the application courses!!

I'm just curious, in your experience how much do you guys think it's about application technique, like good writing/tailoring your application over stuff that you can't control like grades/experience?

I haven't had much luck in the past and I've always thought it was just because of my average grades and average experiences, but reading the posts here seems to suggest that plays less of a role?

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi

I'm looking forward to the application courses!!

I'm just curious, in your experience how much do you guys think it's about application technique, like good writing/tailoring your application over stuff that you can't control like grades/experience?

I haven't had much luck in the past and I've always thought it was just because of my average grades and average experiences, but reading the posts here seems to suggest that plays less of a role?

I didn't realise how important it was until recently nor did I realise how generically I was describing firms - when I thought I was tailoring my applications. If you remember that firms get so many similar applications from students with decent grades it makes sense why they use it to cut down applications. I wish I realised it sooner - but at least now I'm planning out a lot longer for my applications and will hopefully have a couple of the early ones checked before I send them off.

Reactions: Salma

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
I promise you - It is more about your application technique than anything - I would go even so far as saying a good application triumphs grades (except if you got numerous 2:2's) - I myself have been rejected for training contract applications despite a first class degree with work experience - I made the mistake of sending too many applications without really tailoring them specifically.

My advice to you would instead of let's say sending out 10 applications and what not - send out 5 but make sure they are so specific that they cannot ignore you.

• 🏆
Reactions: Ibtisam Arif and aaron22

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I promise you - It is more about your application technique than anything - I would go even so far as saying a good application triumphs grades (except if you got numerous 2:2's) - I myself have been rejected for training contract applications despite a first class degree with work experience - I made the mistake of sending too many applications without really tailoring them specifically.

My advice to you would instead of let's say sending out 10 applications and what not - send out 5 but make sure they are so specific that they cannot ignore you.

^ Exactly this, great advice.

In my first round of applications, I received many rejections. I just assumed it was because I wasn't qualified enough.

After that, I spent a very long time improving the quality of my applications and learning about application technique. In my second round of applications, my application to interview conversion ratio increased considerably. Towards the end, I could send off an application and be pretty confident I would get an interview (I say that to reinforce how important application technique is and not to toot my own horn!).

As Jai mentioned, a good application trumps most things and yet it's so often missed out. It's why we focus on application reviews and the soon-to-come application courses.

Reactions: Salma

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018

That's really good advice thank you! I think I sent too many generic applications last time because I was rushing and that's probably why I did so poorly.

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018
    ^ Exactly this, great advice.

In my first round of applications, I received many rejections. I just assumed it was because I wasn't qualified enough.

After that, I spent a very long time improving the quality of my applications and learning about application technique. In my second round of applications, my application to interview conversion ratio increased considerably. Towards the end, I could send off an application and be pretty confident I would get an interview (I say that to reinforce how important application technique is and not to toot my own horn!).

As Jai mentioned, a good application trumps most things and yet it's so often missed out. It's why we focus on application reviews and the soon-to-come application courses.

No need to answer this if it's too personal but out of interest, how many interviews did you in the end?

Reactions: aaron22

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just FYI it wasn't all one way up. There were countless rejections before and during those interviews, so I know how rubbish they can feel. Especially when you think you did a good job on the app/in the interview. That's true of all the trainees I know - there's always a string of rejections behind them. I think that's important to remember if you're doubting yourself; we've all been there.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jai C. and Jaxkw

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.