How to address being previously rejected by a firm?

anon32323232

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi team,

I applied for quite a few direct TCs in this summer 2022 window - the window was fairly brutal and nothing (as yet) came through. I'm now applying for vac schemes for the new stream, where more spaces are available. I wanted if anyone had any advice on how to broach this in the "have you applied to this firm before" part of the applications. Do you think they will see that I got rejected for a TC and instantly can my application? Would appreciate any advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You've got to be truthful - if they are just asking if you applied before, all you have to say is what you applied to and when.

Clearly the firm won't instantly can your application. If that was the case, they wouldn't let you apply again.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
@btrs67 As Jess has said, this is a standard question on all applications and it’s important to be honest. There is no detriment to you in doing so. Many candidates get rejected in one cycle because maybe their responses to the app questions weren’t strong enough or they might not have been ready at that stage in terms of experience and personal growth. Candidates can easily improve the factors that went against them in one cycle to the next- it’s just important to show that growth and development :)

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Hi team,

I applied for quite a few direct TCs in this summer 2022 window - the window was fairly brutal and nothing (as yet) came through. I'm now applying for vac schemes for the new stream, where more spaces are available. I wanted if anyone had any advice on how to broach this in the "have you applied to this firm before" part of the applications. Do you think they will see that I got rejected for a TC and instantly can my application? Would appreciate any advice.
I completely agree with Jess and Alice. I applied to a firm last cycle and was rejected after video interview. I reapplied this cycle after updating my application and answered ‘yes’ to the ‘have you applied to us before’ question and got through to the next rounds of assessment just fine.

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.