I’ve been offered a TC!

Lottie

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2018
Hi all

Just wanted to do a post to let people know - and more importantly, to thank TCLA - that I’ve been offered a training contract. I knew it would be, but it really is the best feeling ever and I’m sure lots of you reading this, who just haven’t had the chance yet, will get to experience it soon too.

For a bit of background: I went to a very average, probably below average, state secondary school (no where near London); got okay GCSEs, nothing remarkable; got below average A levels (didn’t meet my offer for uni but they let me in anyway, luckily); graduated 3 years ago from a Russell Group university, but by no means an impressive one; I worked hard, got a first in Law; went off and did a very non-law grad scheme for 2 years (super hard to explain that particular decision in apps and interviews!); managed to get some work experience which developed into a paralegal job in London and; now work in law-related/commercial sort of business.

I’ve had lots, LOTS, of rejections where I’ve cried (lol) and thought a TC would never, ever happen for me. It’s really hard. Lots of the time, we’re competing against people who have had private educations and families that have quite literally bred them into law. I was the first in my family to go to university. None of my family members or family friends are lawyers. To this day, I don’t think that they understand just how difficult it is to do the relentless TC cycles...

It’s hard, but you will do it. TCLA is a fantastic resource and you’re already here, so you’re doing something right! Jaysen and the team’s posts on deals, commercial topics and the advice shared is so useful and I’m hugely grateful that I’ve had access to this little community of people that are willing to give up their time like this, because you’ve definitely helped me in getting this offer.

So thank you to the TCLA team. I’ll stick around, feel free to message me with any questions and I’ll do whatever I can.

It will happen, keep going!

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
Absolutely brilliant !!! Well done. Btw just for informations sake ..how many rejections did you have and what exactly gave you the motivation to keep on applying again and again and again..

Last edited:
Reactions: Lottie

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all

Just wanted to do a post to let people know - and more importantly, to thank TCLA - that I’ve been offered a training contract. I knew it would be, but it really is the best feeling ever and I’m sure lots of you reading this, who just haven’t had the chance yet, will get to experience it soon too.

For a bit of background: I went to a very average, probably below average, state secondary school (no where near London); got okay GCSEs, nothing remarkable; got below average A levels (didn’t meet my offer for uni but they let me in anyway, luckily); graduated 3 years ago from a Russell Group university, but by no means an impressive one; I worked hard, got a first in Law; went off and did a very non-law grad scheme for 2 years (super hard to explain that particular decision in apps and interviews!); managed to get some work experience which developed into a paralegal job in London and; now work in law-related/commercial sort of business.

I’ve had lots, LOTS, of rejections where I’ve cried (lol) and thought a TC would never, ever happen for me. It’s really hard. Lots of the time, we’re competing against people who have had private educations and families that have quite literally bred them into law. I was the first in my family to go to university. None of my family members or family friends are lawyers. To this day, I don’t think that they understand just how difficult it is to do the relentless TC cycles...

It’s hard, but you will do it. TCLA is a fantastic resource and you’re already here, so you’re doing something right! Jaysen and the team’s posts on deals, commercial topics and the advice shared is so useful and I’m hugely grateful that I’ve had access to this little community of people that are willing to give up their time like this, because you’ve definitely helped me in getting this offer.

So thank you to the TCLA team. I’ll stick around, feel free to message me with any questions and I’ll do whatever I can.

It will happen, keep going!

Thank you for sharing your story Lottie. I remember when we first spoke back in March -- you were not only a strong candidate but keen to learn and incorporate feedback.

Please do keep in touch. I'd love to see how you get on during your training contract.

Lottie

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2018
    Absolutely brilliant !!! Well done. Btw just for informations sake ..how many rejections did you have and what exactly gave you the motivation to keep on applying again and again and again..
    Hi Jai

Thank you so much :)

Of course. So I had 10 rejections. I'd got to various stages, online tests, video interviews, but I wasn't invited to any ACs/interviews. Perhaps slightly cocky of me, but I was sure that if I could get an AC/interview, I could impress face-to-face more than on paper.

I think that I was able to keep going because I knew I really wanted it. That's what I want my career to be. I've got some really supportive friends that wouldn't allow me to beat myself up over rejections and encouraged me. I think having people like that around are invaluable, though lots of these friends are qualified lawyers which can also be a bit tough (going for drinks, every single person is a lawyer, which is what you really want). After rejections, give yourself a bit of time to be disappointed, regroup and then start again.

Also towards the end of this cycle, I could tell my applications were getting better, so I knew I must be getting close and I think that was encouraging.

I don't know how helpful that is as a response! Keep going - I'm honestly so sure that if I can do it, you can.

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Jai

Thank you so much :)

Of course. So I had 10 rejections. I'd got to various stages, online tests, video interviews, but I wasn't invited to any ACs/interviews. Perhaps slightly cocky of me, but I was sure that if I could get an AC/interview, I could impress face-to-face more than on paper.

I think that I was able to keep going because I knew I really wanted it. That's what I want my career to be. I've got some really supportive friends that wouldn't allow me to beat myself up over rejections and encouraged me. I think having people like that around are invaluable, though lots of these friends are qualified lawyers which can also be a bit tough (going for drinks, every single person is a lawyer, which is what you really want). After rejections, give yourself a bit of time to be disappointed, regroup and then start again.

Also towards the end of this cycle, I could tell my applications were getting better, so I knew I must be getting close and I think that was encouraging.

I don't know how helpful that is as a response! Keep going - I'm honestly so sure that if I can do it, you can.

So inspiring! Congrats Lottie! I also go into AC’s with the same ‘I can impress better in person than on paper’ but then it backfires when I try my best not to melt in my interview chair from fear/anxiety/lack of confidence, any tips?

Reactions: Nicole

Lottie

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2018
    So inspiring! Congrats Lottie! I also go into AC’s with the same ‘I can impress better in person than on paper’ but then it backfires when I try my best not to melt in my interview chair from fear/anxiety/lack of confidence, any tips?

Hey

I'm sorry for the delayed response, I've been away!

Ah, I always feel so nervous, like so-nervous-I-could-be-sick nervous for interviews. The graduate recruitment lady actually said to me in the interview "You seem really confident and unflappable", I told her I'd felt sick all day haha.

The fact that you can really prepare for interviews helped my nerves, I think. Realistically, you know what they're going to ask you. They might not ask it all, they might ask random curve ball questions, but you can prepare for the vast majority of interview questions and I think that helped me to relax a bit.

I think the 'fake it 'til you make it' motto is helpful here and a change in the way you see interviews. Look at the interview as YOUR CHANCE, your opportunity to show them how great you are and to make the most of everything you've worked for. By interview, they're already interested in you, you've (arguably - I think so anyway!) done the hard part in standing out at application and they want to meet you. I'm sure you're an interesting person and can speak to people, so perhaps looking at interviews as a chance to show them why you deserve the TC, instead of panicking about being grilled/scrutinised, might help.

Also, the obvious things like eat properly the days leading up to the interview, do some exercise to clear your head (which'll also help you sleep better), listen to music before it if that's going to help etc. Think exam-style routines :)

I hope that's helpful! :) x

• 🏆
    Reactions: Salma and Nicole

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey

I'm sorry for the delayed response, I've been away!

Ah, I always feel so nervous, like so-nervous-I-could-be-sick nervous for interviews. The graduate recruitment lady actually said to me in the interview "You seem really confident and unflappable", I told her I'd felt sick all day haha.

The fact that you can really prepare for interviews helped my nerves, I think. Realistically, you know what they're going to ask you. They might not ask it all, they might ask random curve ball questions, but you can prepare for the vast majority of interview questions and I think that helped me to relax a bit.

I think the 'fake it 'til you make it' motto is helpful here and a change in the way you see interviews. Look at the interview as YOUR CHANCE, your opportunity to show them how great you are and to make the most of everything you've worked for. By interview, they're already interested in you, you've (arguably - I think so anyway!) done the hard part in standing out at application and they want to meet you. I'm sure you're an interesting person and can speak to people, so perhaps looking at interviews as a chance to show them why you deserve the TC, instead of panicking about being grilled/scrutinised, might help.

Also, the obvious things like eat properly the days leading up to the interview, do some exercise to clear your head (which'll also help you sleep better), listen to music before it if that's going to help etc. Think exam-style routines :)

I hope that's helpful! :) x

Very helpful. Thanks Lottie and congrats once again!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.