I want to apply to firms in London but i want to continue to live up North.

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Hello, i currently live up north but i would like to apply for firms in London. I'm from London but i don't live there anymore. Would it be okay for me to apply for firms there and if i am successful then how likely is it that i can still live up north, complete my LPC/SQE up north but work for the firm as a trainee in London? Of course closer to the time, i may re-consider.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, i currently live up north but i would like to apply for firms in London. I'm from London but i don't live there anymore. Would it be okay for me to apply for firms there and if i am successful then how likely is it that i can still live up north, complete my LPC/SQE up north but work for the firm as a trainee in London? Of course closer to the time, i may re-consider.
    You may be able to do the LPC/SQE in the North, but by the time you need to start the training contract, you will need to be commutable distance to London.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I think that they might let you do the LPC/SQE up north if the firm you end up at are not too strict (although many firms prefer their cohort to do the course all together in the same location, that is what my firm for instance decided to do). However, for what concerns working for the London office but still live up north, I think that this is a bit unrealistic, especially as a trainee.

There will be so many things that will require you to be in the office in a short amount of time and I just think that it is not as feasible as it might seem, and I do not know if a firm will allow this, just for convenience purposes. If it is easier for you to arrive to London everyday with the public transport, then I do not see why the firm would have an issue with it though.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.