Ideal time to take TCLA premium subscription?

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi

I am an international student finishing my 1st year in LLB from a Russel Group Uni in London. In my second year (which is starting in September 2023) I will be applying for VS and then in my 3rd year (from June 2024) for TC. Given that TCLA premium is pricey, do you suggest taking it this year (to help me with VS) or next year (to help with TC ?)

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As what you can learn from it can be transferred across recruitment cycles, I would say that subscribing 2 months or before you want to start applying to opportunities would be a good idea. Depending on which level of subscription you go for, this gives you time to get through some of the e-learning content, and also potentially benefit from the 1-2-1 services if you go with the gold subscription.

Therefore if you subscribed this cycle, I suspect you will have gathered a lot that can then be taken into your TC cycle (and that’s assuming you go into your third year - you could easily convert one of your VS or decide to apply to TCs at the end of your second year).

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi

I am an international student finishing my 1st year in LLB from a Russel Group Uni in London. In my second year (which is starting in September 2023) I will be applying for VS and then in my 3rd year (from June 2024) for TC. Given that TCLA premium is pricey, do you suggest taking it this year (to help me with VS) or next year (to help with TC ?)

Thank you.
    Hi there! I'm not sure why you're separating out applying to VS in your second year and applying for direct TCs in your third year – why not apply to both VS and direct TCs for both years? Here's a handy list of where firms recruit from.

I will say though that most firms recruit via VS, which is typically targeted to second-year undergraduate students. This is because TCs are designed to starts two years later giving you just enough time to finish your final year and the SQE before your TC starts. That said, firms still recruit third year, graduate and beyond for VS.

Most people (myself included) would advise you to get the subscription this upcoming year on the logic that the earlier you start accumulating knowledge, the more time you have to synthesise, put it into practice, and build on it. At the end of the day, there's no right answer here, and it all depends on you and your personal preference.

Hope this helps!

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    Hi there! I'm not sure why you're separating out applying to VS in your second year and applying for direct TCs in your third year – why not apply to both VS and direct TCs for both years? Here's a handy list of where firms recruit from.
    Thank you so much. On your above comment, so I understand this correctly: Are you saying some firms DO recruit for direct TCs from SECOND YEAR UNDERGRADUATE LLB STUDENTS? I always thought for TC, one has to wait to apply till 3rd year of law course.

I do agree that I will apply for both direct TCs and VS in final year, where eligible.
    I will say though that most firms recruit via VS, which is typically targeted to second-year undergraduate students. This is because TCs are designed to starts two years later giving you just enough time to finish your final year and the SQE before your TC starts. That said, firms still recruit third year, graduate and beyond for VS.

Thanks again. So what you are saying is that in case I haven't cracked a TC in my final year of law course, I can still have a few more shots after graduation, correct?
    Most people (myself included) would advise you to get the subscription this upcoming year on the logic that the earlier you start accumulating knowledge, the more time you have to synthesise, put it into practice, and build on it. At the end of the day, there's no right answer here, and it all depends on you and your personal preference.

Hope this helps!

Thank you again. Since I won't be eligible for most winter VCs (I see that most are offered during first couple of weeks of December which is still term time) , most of my applications would be to Spring and Summer schemes. If the above is correct, would January 24 would a good time to subscribe?

Reactions: laurabeaumont

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    As what you can learn from it can be transferred across recruitment cycles, I would say that subscribing 2 months or before you want to start applying to opportunities would be a good idea. Depending on which level of subscription you go for, this gives you time to get through some of the e-learning content, and also potentially benefit from the 1-2-1 services if you go with the gold subscription.

Therefore if you subscribed this cycle, I suspect you will have gathered a lot that can then be taken into your TC cycle (and that’s assuming you go into your third year - you could easily convert one of your VS or decide to apply to TCs at the end of your second year).
    Thank you. Given that I wont be eligible for most Winter VS as they are in term time, would Jan/Feb 24 a good time to subscribe to make best use for Spring/Summer VS?

Reactions: laurabeaumont

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Thank you so much. On your above comment, so I understand this correctly: Are you saying some firms DO recruit for direct TCs from SECOND YEAR UNDERGRADUATE LLB STUDENTS? I always thought for TC, one has to wait to apply till 3rd year of law course.

I do agree that I will apply for both direct TCs and VS in final year, where eligible.

Thanks again. So what you are saying is that in case I haven't cracked a TC in my final year of law course, I can still have a few more shots after graduation, correct?

Thank you again. Since I won't be eligible for most winter VCs (I see that most are offered during first couple of weeks of December which is still term time) , most of my applications would be to Spring and Summer schemes. If the above is correct, would January 24 would a good time to subscribe?
    Hi there!

1. On your above comment, so I understand this correctly: Are you saying some firms DO recruit for direct TCs from SECOND YEAR UNDERGRADUATE LLB STUDENTS?

Yes, some firms do recruit direct TCS for second year undergraduate students (eg, White & Case). You will need to check on a case-by-case. Firms refer to second-year students as penultimate students. It is not limited to only LLB students; students from non-law degrees are also eligible to apply.

2. So what you are saying is that in case I haven't cracked a TC in my final year of law course, I can still have a few more shots after graduation, correct?
    Yes, you can apply for TCs even long after you graduate – I applied after completing my LLB and LLM. Strictly speaking, there are no age limit to apply for TCs. The only limit is your eligibility to stay and work in the UK – LLMs and Graduate visa are two ways to extend your stay in the UK after your LLB studies.

Also some firms restrict their VS to penultimate and final year undergraduate students. Some firm (typically those with more than one vacation schemes per year) will designate a specific scheme for final years and/or graduates (eg, winter VS). This varies firm-by-firm. Have a look at this as an example of what I'm talking about.

3. Since I won't be eligible for most winter VCs (I see that most are offered during first couple of weeks of December which is still term time) , most of my applications would be to Spring and Summer schemes. If the above is correct, would January 24 would a good time to subscribe?

You are correct in that since you are an international student, the schemes must be held during non-term time in order for you to do it since VS by a large are full-time work. However, different firms have different dates, so you may have a firm with a winter VS outside of term time. Also application for all VS at a firm tend to open on the same date albeit due on different dates so you can still apply earlier – in the link I put above, you'll see that applications for winter, spring and summer all open on the same date. As @Jessica Booker said, the earlier you subscribe, the more time you have to digest the content. Hint: most firms open application in the new cycle in September.

Another thing to bear in mind is that some firms recruit for VS and direct TC on a rolling basis. Rolling means that firms consider applications as they come in and may close their application earlier if they have filled up their spots. Non-rolling means that firms will only consider applications after the deadline passed. Here's a handy list of firms recruiting on rolling/non-rolling. You can use rolling applications to your advantage by applying earlier – most applications are made in the last few days before the deadline (there's a graph of this somewhere on the TCLA forum but I can't find it).

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to pop them into this thread and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Reactions: BuddingLawyer

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    Hi there!

1. On your above comment, so I understand this correctly: Are you saying some firms DO recruit for direct TCs from SECOND YEAR UNDERGRADUATE LLB STUDENTS?

Yes, some firms do recruit direct TCS for second year undergraduate students (eg, White & Case). You will need to check on a case-by-case. Firms refer to second-year students as penultimate students. It is not limited to only LLB students; students from non-law degrees are also eligible to apply.

2. So what you are saying is that in case I haven't cracked a TC in my final year of law course, I can still have a few more shots after graduation, correct?
    Yes, you can apply for TCs even long after you graduate – I applied after completing my LLB and LLM. Strictly speaking, there are no age limit to apply for TCs. The only limit is your eligibility to stay and work in the UK – LLMs and Graduate visa are two ways to extend your stay in the UK after your LLB studies.

Also some firms restrict their VS to penultimate and final year undergraduate students. Some firm (typically those with more than one vacation schemes per year) will designate a specific scheme for final years and/or graduates (eg, winter VS). This varies firm-by-firm. Have a look at this as an example of what I'm talking about.

3. Since I won't be eligible for most winter VCs (I see that most are offered during first couple of weeks of December which is still term time) , most of my applications would be to Spring and Summer schemes. If the above is correct, would January 24 would a good time to subscribe?

You are correct in that since you are an international student, the schemes must be held during non-term time in order for you to do it since VS by a large are full-time work. However, different firms have different dates, so you may have a firm with a winter VS outside of term time. Also application for all VS at a firm tend to open on the same date albeit due on different dates so you can still apply earlier – in the link I put above, you'll see that applications for winter, spring and summer all open on the same date. As @Jessica Booker said, the earlier you subscribe, the more time you have to digest the content. Hint: most firms open application in the new cycle in September.

Another thing to bear in mind is that some firms recruit for VS and direct TC on a rolling basis. Rolling means that firms consider applications as they come in and may close their application earlier if they have filled up their spots. Non-rolling means that firms will only consider applications after the deadline passed. Here's a handy list of firms recruiting on rolling/non-rolling. You can use rolling applications to your advantage by applying earlier – most applications are made in the last few days before the deadline (there's a graph of this somewhere on the TCLA forum but I can't find it).

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to pop them into this thread and I'll answer them as best as I can.
    Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. One last question : Is there a reliable list/link available to the list of firms who have no qualms about sponsoring visas for international students if selected for TC ? Just wanted to save time and energy in not pursuing non-productive opportunities.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Many summer schemes close in December or January, so I would probably advise singing up in October time so you have at least a couple of month to get the benefits do the e-learning content and get a couple of application reviews in ahead of deadlines.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reactions: BuddingLawyer

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. One last question : Is there a reliable list/link available to the list of firms who have no qualms about sponsoring visas for international students if selected for TC ? Just wanted to save time and energy in not pursuing non-productive opportunities.
    No worries! The list from @Jessica Booker is accurate but do bear in mind that the list is non-exhaustive. Generally speaking, international law firm in the City will sponsor international students. If there are any particular firms you want to go to but you are not sure if they take international students, you can drop graduate recruitment an email to ask.

All the best on your TC applications!

Edit: The list mentioned is from Global Access, which is an organisation that designed for international students pursuing a TC in the UK by pairing them with a mentor – I might be wrong but I think all mentors are also international students. Free to apply.

Last edited:

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    Many summer schemes close in December or January, so I would probably advise singing up in October time so you have at least a couple of month to get the benefits do the e-learning content and get a couple of application reviews in ahead of deadlines.
    Hi Jessica
    If I subscribe for Gold from 15th september 2023 for 3 months (concluding on 15th December),

1. Will the extra gold benefits be provided on a calendar month basis (1st - 30th) or 15th-14th ? As an example, can I get my 3 free applications reviewed on 2nd october, 30th october and 10th december ? Same question for the 15 minute free consultation. As an aside, is the consultation useful for second year LLB students who are primarily focused on VS to start with (over TC) ?
    2. Is there a limit to interview simulator usage for gold members or is it unlimited?
    3. Can the 3 for 2 coupon be used on a rolling basis or is it one time ?
    4. Is there a longer term discount available for 12 month membership ?
    5. For firms who will have both VS and Direct TC open for second year LLB students (of 3 year course) will they allow application for BOTH in same cycle ? If not, is my intuition correct that due to lack of legal experience it is better to apply for VS than TC ?
    Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica
    If I subscribe for Gold from 15th september 2023 for 3 months (concluding on 15th December),

1. Will the extra gold benefits be provided on a calendar month basis (1st - 30th) or 15th-14th ? As an example, can I get my 3 free applications reviewed on 2nd october, 30th october and 10th december ? Same question for the 15 minute free consultation. As an aside, is the consultation useful for second year LLB students who are primarily focused on VS to start with (over TC) ?
    2. Is there a limit to interview simulator usage for gold members or is it unlimited?
    3. Can the 3 for 2 coupon be used on a rolling basis or is it one time ?
    4. Is there a longer term discount available for 12 month membership ?
    5. For firms who will have both VS and Direct TC open for second year LLB students (of 3 year course) will they allow application for BOTH in same cycle ? If not, is my intuition correct that due to lack of legal experience it is better to apply for VS than TC ?
    Thanks.
    1) your access to the gold membership works on when your subscriptions starts, and then will end one month later (eg 15 Nov - 14 Dec).

2) the video interview simulator is once per calendar month, like the application reviews (this renews on 1st of each month).

3) The voucher can only be used at the time of purchase for the fixed time mentioned. You’d have to see what vouchers were available after this period if you wanted to purchase any subscription after then.

4) not currently - the other options are currently a six month membership options which can be found on this page: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/membership-plans/

5) it depends on the firm. There isn’t a standard policy on this, so you should check with each firm you apply to. Generally I would advise to apply for vacation schemes unless your circumstances are that it would be difficult to take 1-4 weeks out to do this.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.