Jobs before training contract

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi there,

I’m a future trainee at a silver circle firm. I’ve asked a lot of questions on the forum in the last year, so a massive thank you to everyone!

My SQE begins next year and I am hoping to to work until about may/June before I go travelling. I’m quite flexible about what role I take on. I am particularly open to working at a startup or taking on some sort of political role (think tank or within Labour Party) or paralegalling as well.

At the moment I have just looked on work4anmp.com and emailed my firm. Does anyone have any advice on where else I could look or any other areas where future trainees often end up. Any advice from anyone would be welcome aha!

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, Thank you I have had a couple of legal recruiter's message. It would be useful to get some advice on what my salary expectations should be at the moment, I have said ideally mid 30's but I will consider anything over 30k pro rata, is this realistic in your opinion? (I am looking for something ideally for between 6-8 months and have done vacation schemes/internships but have no previous paralegal experience)

Also, do you think it would be sensible to look on firm websites and apply that way as well? (I understand recruiters require a fee and this may mean I would get paid a lower salary)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, Thank you I have had a couple of legal recruiter's message. It would be useful to get some advice on what my salary expectations should be at the moment, I have said ideally mid 30's but I will consider anything over 30k pro rata, is this realistic in your opinion? (I am looking for something ideally for between 6-8 months and have done vacation schemes/internships but have no previous paralegal experience)

Also, do you think it would be sensible to look on firm websites and apply that way as well? (I understand recruiters require a fee and this may mean I would get paid a lower salary)
It depends on the firm - for some this will be quite high (they are more likely to offer £25-28k) but for some firms that pay higher trainee salaries, stating a baseline of around £30-34k is probably reasonable if you have no experience. Based on working a standard 35-40 hour week with no overtime, you'll probably want to roughly aim for 60-70% of a trainee salary (but that is based on you have completed the LPC or SQE and having no paralegal experience).

It's generally better to aim lower in an application or initial discussion with a recruiter, and then wait until you have an offer and then negotiate a higher amount if needed. You don't want to get your application thrown out just because your expectations are too high.

Yes, you should apply directly via firm's website and their own LinkedIn advertising too. It's unlikely you would get a lower salary via a recruiter though just because they are taking a fee.

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Thanks, @Jessica Booker, my tc doesn't begin till 2024 so my sqe hasn't even started yet! I guess I should be a little bit more modest with the salary expectations.

It would be useful to know how you recommend negotiating a higher salary though? (especially when you are told the salary before applying).

Also, out of interest do you know successful future trainees in my position tend to be in securing a paralegal role and how long it usually takes? (ballpark figure would be great, I know it would vary from candidate to candidate)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks, @Jessica Booker, my tc doesn't begin till 2024 so my sqe hasn't even started yet! I guess I should be a little bit more modest with the salary expectations.
The fact you have a TC is likely to help you secure a better salary.

But it does just vary - you could easily find a US firm offering over £35k (or possibly even over £40k). But recruiters are generally working across firms and if they are working for a large international firm who are only paying trainees low £40k salaries, then its likely the paralegal salary will be under £30k. It ultimately depends how picky you want to be too though and how important the salary is to you.

It also depends on whether you are paid by the hour or a fixed salary with no overtime (just an expectation you will work long hours). Many paralegals end up adding a good 20-30% on top of their base salary because of overtime, and this generally bumps them up to quite competitive salaries (sometimes out-earning trainees in the same firm).

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
The fact you have a TC is likely to help you secure a better salary.

But it does just vary - you could easily find a US firm offering over £35k (or possibly even over £40k). But recruiters are generally working across firms and if they are working for a large international firm who are only paying trainees low £40k salaries, then its likely the paralegal salary will be under £30k. It ultimately depends how picky you want to be too though and how important the salary is to you.

It also depends on whether you are paid by the hour or a fixed salary with no overtime (just an expectation you will work long hours). Many paralegals end up adding a good 20-30% on top of their base salary because of overtime, and this generally bumps them up to quite competitive salaries (sometimes out-earning trainees in the same firm).
Thank you!

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
It depends on the firm - for some this will be quite high (they are more likely to offer £25-28k) but for some firms that pay higher trainee salaries, stating a baseline of around £30-34k is probably reasonable if you have no experience. Based on working a standard 35-40 hour week with no overtime, you'll probably want to roughly aim for 60-70% of a trainee salary (but that is based on you have completed the LPC or SQE and having no paralegal experience).

It's generally better to aim lower in an application or initial discussion with a recruiter, and then wait until you have an offer and then negotiate a higher amount if needed. You don't want to get your application thrown out just because your expectations are too high.

Yes, you should apply directly via firm's website and their own LinkedIn advertising too. It's unlikely you would get a lower salary via a recruiter though just because they are taking a fee.
Hi Jessica, I hope you are doing well 😊

Just to follow on from what you said here, but in a different context. This is for a marketing and BD assistant role in a law firm (first year trainee salary is in the low £40k salaries if that’s relevant).

When I Googled, I saw £25k as an average for marketing assistants in London so I put a salary expectation of £25k in an application (I wish I put a range but it’s been submitted).

The interview is next week but I was wondering if it’s okay to ask for something higher after I’m made an offer? I thought about the rising cost of living and realised £25k won’t actually work due to certain expenses I currently have.

I’m guessing BD roles tend to pay less. This is a fixed-term role for 8/9 months so I wasn’t sure what law firms commonly pay employees in these roles or how to approach changing the expectation I initially gave in the application when it comes up later. I’d appreciate any insight or advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I hope you are doing well 😊

Just to follow on from what you said here, but in a different context. This is for a marketing and BD assistant role in a law firm (first year trainee salary is in the low £40k salaries if that’s relevant).

When I Googled, I saw £25k as an average for marketing assistants in London so I put a salary expectation of £25k in an application (I wish I put a range but it’s been submitted).

The interview is next week but I was wondering if it’s okay to ask for something higher after I’m made an offer? I thought about the rising cost of living and realised £25k won’t actually work due to certain expenses I currently have.

I’m guessing BD roles tend to pay less. This is a fixed-term role for 8/9 months so I wasn’t sure what law firms commonly pay employees in these roles or how to approach changing the expectation I initially gave in the application when it comes up later. I’d appreciate any insight or advice!

I suspect a firm would offer you higher than that average though - law firms tend to pay above average compared to other sectors. I doubt the law firm would under pay you too (e.g. only offer you £25k because that is what you said when they are willing/able to offer you more) because that just risks you leaving soon after you have joined and them spending more time training someone else up. I'd see what they offered you first (you might be surprised) and then take it from there. If you are asked at interview what your salary expectations are, then mention you had said £25k on the application but based on your current expectations with other roles you have seen, you would hope to get however much more.

If whatever they do offer you still doesn't meet your expectations there are a couple of questions to ask - one is whether you would be eligible for a bonus in the period you are there (is possible in 8/9 months depending on when the bonus is paid - you usually need 6 months service to get one) and/or if there would be any salary review process (some firms review salaries at a fixed point in the year). You can also ask at the offer stage whether you would receive any overtime too. You could also check what your bonus package is like - some firms offer flexible benefit packages which ultimately if you don't use can just get paid to you a taxable salary instead - so worthwhile exploring all these questions with the firm first before declining their offer.

• Love
Reactions: summer207

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
I suspect a firm would offer you higher than that average though - law firms tend to pay above average compared to other sectors. I doubt the law firm would under pay you too (e.g. only offer you £25k because that is what you said when they are willing/able to offer you more) because that just risks you leaving soon after you have joined and them spending more time training someone else up. I'd see what they offered you first (you might be surprised) and then take it from there. If you are asked at interview what your salary expectations are, then mention you had said £25k on the application but based on your current expectations with other roles you have seen, you would hope to get however much more.

If whatever they do offer you still doesn't meet your expectations there are a couple of questions to ask - one is whether you would be eligible for a bonus in the period you are there (is possible in 8/9 months depending on when the bonus is paid - you usually need 6 months service to get one) and/or if there would be any salary review process (some firms review salaries at a fixed point in the year). You can also ask at the offer stage whether you would receive any overtime too. You could also check what your bonus package is like - some firms offer flexible benefit packages which ultimately if you don't use can just get paid to you a taxable salary instead - so worthwhile exploring all these questions with the firm first before declining their offer.
Thank you so much for this detailed response Jessica, I really appreciate it!

If it’s okay with you, I have also sent you a private message relating to this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, do you know how far in advance firms typically recruit for the paralegal roles? I want to try to paralegal at the end of May (after my exams finish) until my TC, should I be reaching out to recruiters/trying to get interviews now or is it much too early? I would ideally do it sooner as I have exams in May.
4-8 weeks in the vast majority of cases.

You could make some initial queries at Easter, but now would be too early.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.