Jones Day interview

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I thought I would share my JD interview experience from today.
It was totally different to any other firm I have had an AC at. No tasks, no negotiation, no tests. It was very much a 'chat' about my application (not academics), my work experience, my current job and my interests. I was quizzed on my language skills and cultural awareness and could see they were delving into the real me. Two partners interviewed me. Anything a bit out of the ordinary on the CV, they wanted to know about. There were a few competency questions as well as what firms I had applied to other then JD and why. No curve ball questions. There was an office tour with a trainee where I was clearly being assessed on behaviour and the questions I asked.
I have come away with no idea what to think. My brain doesn't feel frazzled but I know I could not have done anything differently as I was simply being me which is what they want to see. I will either fit into their culture or I won't.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It was totally different to any other firm I have had an AC at. No tasks, no negotiation, no tests. It was very much a 'chat' about my application (not academics), my work experience, my current job and my interests. I was quizzed on my language skills and cultural awareness and could see they were delving into the real me. Two partners interviewed me. Anything a bit out of the ordinary on the CV, they wanted to know about. There were a few competency questions as well as what firms I had applied to other then JD and why. No curve ball questions. There was an office tour with a trainee where I was clearly being assessed on behaviour and the questions I asked.
    I have come away with no idea what to think. My brain doesn't feel frazzled but I know I could not have done anything differently as I was simply being me which is what they want to see. I will either fit into their culture or I won't.

Great attitude - sounds like you did well!

_Will_

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2019

Hi Helena, thanks for posting -- sounds as though it went well!

Could I possibly ask what kind of competency questions you were asked and if there were any commercial awareness questions?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    To be honest it wasn't like a normal interview as it was so related to my CV and application. There were no 'obvious' questions I could single out that someone else might get. Nor were there commercial awareness questions. It very much depends on the individual I think and so incredibly difficult to prepare for. I studied abroad for a year so they wanted to know a lot about that - why I chose to do it as it was not compulsory. They asked a lot about my current job. What I would say is know your CV and application inside out and anything you think singles you out. They didn't ask why law, why commercial law. They want to get to know the real you.

Reactions: _Will_
    D

Deleted member 613

Hi all, I had my JD interview today so thought I'd give a quick summary.
    First of all, it was my first law-related interview, so I was exceptionally nervous. However, I have to reiterate that the partner and senior associate who interviewed me were both exceptionally nice! They were very welcoming and it felt very much like a conversation. I felt comfortable being myself.
    They started off with general questions (why law, why JD, why you), questions specific to my CV and then asked about a deal I found interesting with a few follow up questions about that. They also asked about strengths and weaknesses and encouraged me to ask any questions I had at the end.
    Thereafter, I met a trainee, who took me on a small tour and we had an informal chat in her office where I was able to ask loads of questions.
    I'm not sure how it went overall as I have nothing to compare it to and it certainly wasn't as scary as law interviews can be! What I can say, is that it was great meeting everyone. They definitely just wanted to get to know the real you and wanted to just see how you approached questions.

_Will_

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2019
    Hi all, I had my JD interview today so thought I'd give a quick summary.
    First of all, it was my first law-related interview, so I was exceptionally nervous. However, I have to reiterate that the partner and senior associate who interviewed me were both exceptionally nice! They were very welcoming and it felt very much like a conversation. I felt comfortable being myself.
    They started off with general questions (why law, why JD, why you), questions specific to my CV and then asked about a deal I found interesting with a few follow up questions about that. They also asked about strengths and weaknesses and encouraged me to ask any questions I had at the end.
    Thereafter, I met a trainee, who took me on a small tour and we had an informal chat in her office where I was able to ask loads of questions.
    I'm not sure how it went overall as I have nothing to compare it to and it certainly wasn't as scary as law interviews can be! What I can say, is that it was great meeting everyone. They definitely just wanted to get to know the real you and wanted to just see how you approached questions.

Sounds like it went great! Congrats Nichol! Best of luck -- I hope they get back to you soon with some good news :)

Thank you very much for kindly sharing your experience, it is very helpful and actually quite reassuring!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.