Conflicting AC dates

mark_2324

Jan 18, 2024
Hi everyone,

So I find myself in a situation in which, having confirmed my attendance of an AC at firm A, I received an AC invite at firm B, taking place at the same time. I already know that firm A cannot reschedule, while firm B said they have no available dates for other ACs at the moment but that they will let me know if anything changes. I assume this means that they could accommodate another AC only if a space opens up as a result of another candidate not being able to attend. The issue is that I cannot wait to see if this happens, as the scheduled AC is very soon, so if I choose to attend at firm A, I have to accept the risk of another place not opening up for me at an AC for firm B. The problem is that if I have to decide between the two, I'd rather go for firm B.

So if there's someone who knows about firms' general rescheduling capabilities, or if there's someone who has been in the same situation: if I inform firm B that I cannot attend the scheduled AC, how likely is it that a place will open up for me on another date? For reference, firm B is a US firm with a relatively small trainee intake - but I do think they run a number of ACs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

So I find myself in a situation in which, having confirmed my attendance of an AC at firm A, I received an AC invite at firm B, taking place at the same time. I already know that firm A cannot reschedule, while firm B said they have no available dates for other ACs at the moment but that they will let me know if anything changes. I assume this means that they could accommodate another AC only if a space opens up as a result of another candidate not being able to attend. The issue is that I cannot wait to see if this happens, as the scheduled AC is very soon, so if I choose to attend at firm A, I have to accept the risk of another place not opening up for me at an AC for firm B. The problem is that if I have to decide between the two, I'd rather go for firm B.

So if there's someone who knows about firms' general rescheduling capabilities, or if there's someone who has been in the same situation: if I inform firm B that I cannot attend the scheduled AC, how likely is it that a place will open up for me on another date? For reference, firm B is a US firm with a relatively small trainee intake - but I do think they run a number of ACs.
No one can tell you what the chances are. These are not fixed and depend on so many individual variables.

Pick the first choice of firm and go ahead with that AC. Explain to the other firm that you cannot attend their assessment centre. It is unfortunate to be put in this situation but it is a risk that happens all the time when you are applying to multiple positions across different organisations.

Reactions: I’m_Batman

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.