Legal Scenario - 15 Mins to read . 5 mins to answer

chillblue

• Nov 14, 2021
    Hi everyone. I have an actual face to face interview - hooray!! but I have been asked to :

Read and consider the content of a legal scenario
    Report back on the salient points of the legal scenario

Anyone have any tips ? @Jessica Booker, I also have a 10 minute presentation on Blockchain and Crypto currency to do on powerpoint to a panel of 3. Thank you in advance!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone. I have an actual face to face interview - hooray!! but I have been asked to :

Read and consider the content of a legal scenario
    Report back on the salient points of the legal scenario

Anyone have any tips ? @Jessica Booker, I also have a 10 minute presentation on Blockchain and Crypto currency to do on powerpoint to a panel of 3. Thank you in advance!
    Read and consider content of legal scenario-

If this is for a vac scheme/direct TC, then the entire point of such an exercise is to test whether you have the right instincts in place to be a commercial lawyer. So when you’re doing this part of your task, remember to keep three things in your mind- what your client’s goals are, how does the legal scenario impact the achievement of these goals (does the scenario help or hinder this) and what you and the firm can do to best serve your client. Take notes along the lines of these three main considerations where appropriate.

Report back on salient points of the legal scenario

Once you have taken note of the main considerations, walk the interviewer through what your conclusions are and how you got to them. For example, if you say the best way to support your client is by removing a certain clause in a contract, you should explain why you think that clause may be harmful and how this will help support your client. If you have to report back orally, then summarise your concision, make a few bullet points going into them deeper and then finish off with your final thoughts.

10 minute presentation

My best advice for this would be to keep the slides to a minimum and to ensure that the information is presented lucidly and in a manner that makes it easy to recall the key points you’ll be making. This article here has some really good tips on making and delivering good quality presentations. My final tip would be to stick to talking about what you know and understand well. Crypto is a topic where people can feel the pressure to be perceived like they’re absolute experts at it, but the reality is that it’s a complex, evolving subject that very few people fully grapple with. So be confident in whatever knowledge that you do have and try to fight the need to work at seeming impressive (if it at all arises!)

All the best! Let us know how it goes 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.