Linklaters Winter Vacation Scheme

S

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
Hello!

I have previously applied to Linklaters but I can never seem to get through to the next stage. I am interested in applying for their winter vacation scheme, and wanted to ask if you have any advice in regards to the application form.

I'm not sure where i am going wrong - I take the same approach as I have with other magic/large city firms and have been successful.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you!!

P.S applications haven't actually opened yet but I thought i'd get a head start lol

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hello!

I have previously applied to Linklaters but I can never seem to get through to the next stage. I am interested in applying for their winter vacation scheme, and wanted to ask if you have any advice in regards to the application form.

I'm not sure where i am going wrong - I take the same approach as I have with other magic/large city firms and have been successful.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you!!

P.S applications haven't actually opened yet but I thought i'd get a head start lol

I remember one of the Linklaters application questions being hard because you have to answer why commercial law and why Linklaters in one go. For that question, I really had to cut down my words so I had enough space to answer all the parts.

There's also a commercial question which I hadn't seen before, asking how a news article affects Linklaters. Do you think you tailored that enough?

S

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
The approach I had taken with the news article was choosing an issue then linking it back to sector of the firm and recent work with clients. But I guess this time round maybe one to focus more on!! thanks

S

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
What were their questions on app form?

1. Describe why a career in commercial law appeals to you, what factors and influences have affected your decision to become a lawyer. Include why you are interested in a career as a Linklaters lawyer, and the skills and attributes you would bring to the firm
  2. Write about a current issue or news article that has interested you, and how you feel that subject would affect Linklaters
  3. Describe your involvement and positions of responsibility in extra curricular activities including any societies, charitable and voluntary work, sports or personal / academic achievements

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
The approach I had taken with the news article was choosing an issue then linking it back to sector of the firm and recent work with clients. But I guess this time round maybe one to focus more on!! thanks
That sounds about right. Sorry I can't be of more help! I did interview at Linklaters but I'm pretty sure I got lucky!

S

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
That sounds about right. Sorry I can't be of more help! I did interview at Linklaters but I'm pretty sure I got lucky!

You are helpful and im positive it wasn't luck haha, I dont know if it was because of the topic I had chosen (GDPR). If you don't mind me asking how did you got abouts the question of why law/why linklaters?

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
You are helpful and im positive it wasn't luck haha, I dont know if it was because of the topic I had chosen (GDPR). If you don't mind me asking how did you got abouts the question of why law/why linklaters?

I talked about a negotiation competition that first ignited my interest in commercial law (and why). Then I started a second paragraph and said I was interested in Linklaters for two reasons (1. being after meeting them at an event and 2. a fact about the firm that appealed to me). Then my third paragraph was about what I would bring to Linklaters with short university and work examples to back it up.

In terms of structure, I was really really concise after a lot of cutting down. I also weighted the paragraphs slightly differently - more like 100, 175, 125 so I could focus on Why Linklaters a bit more on the application.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I talked about a negotiation competition that first ignited my interest in commercial law (and why). Then I started a second paragraph and said I was interested in Linklaters for two reasons (1. being after meeting them at an event and 2. a fact about the firm that appealed to me). Then my third paragraph was about what I would bring to Linklaters with short university and work examples to back it up.

In terms of structure, I was really really concise after a lot of cutting down. I also weighted the paragraphs slightly differently - more like 100, 175, 125 so I could focus on Why Linklaters a bit more on the application.

Thanks Jess! What topic did you choose for the current commercial issue?

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks Jess! What topic did you choose for the current commercial issue?

You're welcome! I wrote about how the world is adjusting to a new technological revolution. I started with the consequences of that on businesses, especially financial services firms. After that, I moved on to Linklaters and discussed the kind of systems they've recently introduced to handle new regulation. I then talked about how Linklaters could use this as an opportunity to get ahead of competitors, and that in 20-30 years we could have a very different way of running a law firm.

That's usually my go to commercial awareness topic because it can be a bit more philosophical rather than technical - whether robots will take over, ethics etc. I used to talk about upcoming regulations but I found at interviews the partners knew it well and would ask some very hard questions. It was also a topic that everyone else was discussing. So this one is hopefully a bit more interesting!

What topics did you guys choose for this question?

Reactions: Salma and kaveesha

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
You're welcome! I wrote about how the world is adjusting to a new technological revolution. I started with the consequences of that on businesses, especially financial services firms. After that, I moved on to Linklaters and discussed the kind of systems they've recently introduced to handle new regulation. I then talked about how Linklaters could use this as an opportunity to get ahead of competitors, and that in 20-30 years we could have a very different way of running a law firm.

That's usually my go to commercial awareness topic because it can be a bit more philosophical rather than technical - whether robots will take over, ethics etc. I used to talk about upcoming regulations but I found at interviews the partners knew it well and would ask some very hard questions. It was also a topic that everyone else was discussing. So this one is hopefully a bit more interesting!

What topics did you guys choose for this question?

Thanks Jess! I spoke about AI aswell and weaved into it what Linklaters are currently doing to stay on ‘top’ of new technological advancements with new AI tools such as LinkRFI/the advantages of it etc.. I then went on to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of AI tools and how it could potentially limit the amount of work avaliable for junior lawyers and then concluded with my own opinion!

Failed the WGT (it was a given cause I didn’t practice) but hoping to give it another shot this cycle!

Are you considering to re- apply to Links?

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks Jess! I spoke about AI aswell and weaved into it what Linklaters are currently doing to stay on ‘top’ of new technological advancements with new AI tools such as LinkRFI/the advantages of it etc.. I then went on to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of AI tools and how it could potentially limit the amount of work avaliable for junior lawyers and then concluded with my own opinion!

Failed the WGT (it was a given cause I didn’t practice) but hoping to give it another shot this cycle!

Are you considering to re- apply to Links?

Your answer sounds fantastic. I've no idea how I got passed the WGT, I usually fail them!

I'm not really sure if I can reapply after being rejected after an interview. I might email graduate recruitment to ask as I really like the firm.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Your answer sounds fantastic. I've no idea how I got passed the WGT, I usually fail them!

I'm not really sure if I can reapply after being rejected after an interview. I might email graduate recruitment to ask as I really like the firm.

Sorry I forgot to add to my post that your answer also sounds good! I enjoye reading how relevant and specific it was to Links.

I am pretty sure you can re-apply, but always best to double check! You should be really proud of yourself, I have heard from a few people that the AC at Links is quite horrible lol good luck with apps this cycle

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
Sorry I forgot to add to my post that your answer also sounds good! I enjoye reading how relevant and specific it was to Links.

I am pretty sure you can re-apply, but always best to double check! You should be really proud of yourself, I have heard from a few people that the AC at Links is quite horrible lol good luck with apps this cycle

Thank you! I'm much happier with this one, but it has been a work in progress...

Okay I will double check. Haha I can confirm the AC was tough. Good luck to you too! Are you applying for vac schemes or TCs?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you! I'm much happier with this one, but it has been a work in progress...

Okay I will double check. Haha I can confirm the AC was tough. Good luck to you too! Are you applying for vac schemes or TCs?

I am applying for vac schemes, I feel like my chances will be a lot higher and kinda (finally!!!!!) grasped the importance of application technique - hoping it benefits me again this coming cycle! What about you?

p.s. surprised a lot of firms have already opened this year just noticed Shearman and CC are opened already

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Graduated in 2017. Had no aspirations of becoming a lawyer throughout my 3 years of university. Spent most of my time preparing for graduate entry medicine which is basically an accelerated MBBS. Got a First Class degree, had done some preparation for the medicine entry test UKCAT, and then the motivation went downhill.

Only about 6 months ago that I realised that I cannot sit and do another degree that is 5-6 years long, and long story short, I started applying in January for training contracts, and here I am, still applying.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Graduated in 2017. Had no aspirations of becoming a lawyer throughout my 3 years of university. Spent most of my time preparing for graduate entry medicine which is basically an accelerated MBBS. Got a First Class degree, had done some preparation for the medicine entry test UKCAT, and then the motivation went downhill.

Only about 6 months ago that I realised that I cannot sit and do another degree that is 5-6 years long, and long story short, I started applying in January for training contracts, and here I am, still applying.

Wow your journey to law sounds sick! I am assuming you completed a science/ maths degree at undergrad? If so, are you interested in firms with strong life sciences practice areas or?

I am sure you’ll get there eventually, good luck! Persistent and patience is key, you’ll get that TC offer ;)

Reactions: SameerS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.