Mentioning a Law Blog in an application

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
As somebody that runs a law blog on social media, I've always been reluctant to mention this in applications. This is mainly because I've always had the impression that law firms are traditional institutions that aren't too keen on candidates who have a small social media presence (for the sake of professionalism).

But as my platform has grown I've been exposed to some really unique opportunities that I think would make my application stand out a little more. However, I wouldn't want to mention this if firms aren't too keen on legal social media blogs.

I understand that this is a bit of a weird thing to ask in these forums, but everyone I've met has been really helpful so far with answering all of my questions :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Its not something weird to ask in these forums! It is a great question, which I am sure more people would like to hear the answer to.

And it is definitely something to mention in applications!

Firm's might be traditional but the vast majority rely on blogs/vlogs as part of their business development strategy. It doesn't matter about the number of followers really. The only time I would be concerned is if the content you are producing is questionable in terms of professionalism. But that is a very loose definition of professionalism - you don't have to act like a law firm, but you do have to act like someone who is happy for anyone to see your content and not consider it offensive/bringing your name into disrepute.

• 🤝
Reactions: NLaw18, Jaysen and lbb

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I've written a few articles for blogs. I used this as a passing point to evidence my interest in Commercial Law (they were subject-area focused articles) and to show how I'd engaged/developed with my own interest.

• ℹ️
Reactions: lbb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also if you do mention anything like blogs/vlogs or articles you have written and you do get through to interview, do expect your interviewer to potentially have a quick look at it before your interview and to question you about it.

Reactions: Jaysen and lbb

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
Its not something weird to ask in these forums! It is a great question, which I am sure more people would like to hear the answer to.

And it is definitely something to mention in applications!

Firm's might be traditional but the vast majority rely on blogs/vlogs as part of their business development strategy. It doesn't matter about the number of followers really. The only time I would be concerned is if the content you are producing is questionable in terms of professionalism. But that is a very loose definition of professionalism - you don't have to act like a law firm, but you do have to act like someone who is happy for anyone to see your content and not consider it offensive/bringing your name into disrepute.

Of course! This is really reassuring to hear. Completely agree with you in terms of ensuring that you're 100% comfortable with someone seeing your content. Thank you again Jess :)

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
I've written a few articles for blogs. I used this as a passing point to evidence my interest in Commercial Law (they were subject-area focused articles) and to show how I'd engaged/developed with my own interest.

Love that you've tied this into demonstrating commercial awareness/ an interest in commercial law. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just to add to this, I've read many applications where applicants mention the blogs they run, so you definitely won't be alone. I only expect that number to increase.

If you think of it a little like a business and try to really 'sell' what you have done to make your blog a success, I think it can demonstrate quite a few competencies (determination, proactiveness, entrepreneurialism etc.).

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
    is there any other transferable skill that can be excavated by writing legal blogs on law of contracts etc?
    thank you

I don't know if this can be of use, but here are a few things I've quickly brainstormed:

• Working towards a deadline (when you're writing a feature/blog post for another page they usually want the content to be prepared by a certain date.).
    • Time management (a lot of people who contribute to/own a legal blog tend to balance this alongside studies, work, etc. So knowing how to prioritise your tasks becomes second nature)
    • Analysis (when you're writing articles you tend to include your own thoughts and opinions on the particular area of law that you're writing about. That opinion is usually reached through critically analysing the subject matter.)
    • Attention to detail (again, this is definitely something that applies when you're preparing content for another page. When you're writing up, you always are trying to ensure that there are no typos or grammatical errors because if either of these appear frequently in your work it may imply that you aren't completing articles to a high standard.
    Hope this helps! Sorry if it seems a bit rushed :p

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.