Messaging trainees/associates you connected with on LinkedIn - question on etiquette (please help!)

AV2000

Jul 9, 2022
I am currently in the summer before I send my vacation scheme applications in. Last year, I attended a lot of networking events and connected with a lot of lawyers at them - however regrettably I didn’t necessarily keep in contact/message them after adding them.

I know this is silly, but would it be okay for me to message the old connections asking for a coffee/chat? I really want to talk to atleast one lawyer from each firm I’m applying to. Is there a message format/any other etiquette I should be aware of?

I’m not really from the UK/new to the networking world since I come from schools/family backgrounds where this was never explored - if anyone has any advice for me to do this I would really appreciate it!

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I personally don't see any problem with re-connecting. I would suggest keeping any messages short, being courteous (goes without saying!) and having a clear goal in mind in terms of the purpose of your message. Be prepared that some people may not reply - this is no reflection on you, it just means that they're busy or haven't checked their LinkedIn.

At the end of the day, LinkedIn is a networking tool, so there's no harm in exploiting that feature. I did this when I was going through the application process and generally found people to be receptive and helpful.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2021
    As above, no harm in it, but not everyone will respond (or agree). I'd keep it polite and friendly.

I think the most important part is being mindful that they're also people with work, deadlines and personal things. The fact that you're asking means you're already conscious of being polite so I wouldn't worry, but there's nothing worse than an unsolicited message that ends up feeling like an interrogation.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Absolutely excellent advice from @LlamaLaw and @Kubed.

I also had this same issue at your stage. I managed to connect with someone future trainees through an old mentor from the university. I asked them whether they could "put me in contact" with said person (I knew they were mutual from Linkedin) and they agreed and so I waited for them to message and then I also sent them a short message on FB/Linkedin afterwards! Obviously, this may not be the case for you as you aren't from the UK/University scene, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was given what a small world we will live.

Otherwise, follow the above advice!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.