New job

TJames12

Nov 21, 2021
Hi, ive been working in accounting for the last 18 months and I've not been enjoying it. I've been offered a job with NHS doing governance work relating to data protection. The end goal is to find a TC so I'm looking for jobs outside of law that would be good for applications. Is moving away from a client facing role in accounting to a public sector role a good idea? Little worried about the skills from governance being less valuable than accounting. Thanks

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, ive been working in accounting for the last 18 months and I've not been enjoying it. I've been offered a job with NHS doing governance work relating to data protection. The end goal is to find a TC so I'm looking for jobs outside of law that would be good for applications. Is moving away from a client facing role in accounting to a public sector role a good idea? Little worried about the skills from governance being less valuable than accounting. Thanks
I think that every work experience you do will be looked at very positively regardless of the sector you work in. I think that it is good that you are diversifying your skills and experiences is actually really good and will potentially be preferred.

I know people from public sector jobs who were very successful in training contract applications as law firms appreciated her experience. Additionally, doing work related to data protection gives you the chance to speak about this practice area in my firms, making your application even stronger.

In conclusion, I would not worry and I would pursue what you want to pursue now, law firms will appreciate every experience you.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.