No TC after GDL - Next Steps?

MDA95

Aug 22, 2018
Hi guys,

During the academic year just gone I completed the GDL, however I wasn't able to secure a TC at the end of it.

I am now torn between whether to self-fund the LPC or seek a paralegal role this year (whilst applying for TCs). Although I haven't been able to secure a TC, I have made it through to final interviews and assessment centres at MC and SC firms. Being able to get to this stage still gives me hope of ultimately securing a TC, but I don't know whether it would be better to complete the LPC now, or wait (and hope) for success in TC applications.

Also, how easy is it to get a paralegal role at a leading city firm without the LPC and are there routes through 'paralegalling' to qualification as a solicitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Hi guys,

During the academic year just gone I completed the GDL, however I wasn't able to secure a TC at the end of it.

I am now torn between whether to self-fund the LPC or seek a paralegal role this year (whilst applying for TCs). Although I haven't been able to secure a TC, I have made it through to final interviews and assessment centres at MC and SC firms. Being able to get to this stage still gives me hope of ultimately securing a TC, but I don't know whether it would be better to complete the LPC now, or wait (and hope) for success in TC applications.

Also, how easy is it to get a paralegal role at a leading city firm without the LPC and are there routes through 'paralegalling' to qualification as a solicitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you are a strong candidate if you made it through to final interviews at those kinds of firms. I think all or almost all of the roles I have seen for a paralegal require you to have done the LPC. I'm sure there are some that don't, but it may be tough to find one.

I'm not too familiar with the route after that. I do know that you can qualify as a paralegal through the "equivalent means" route: https://www.thelawyer.com/equivalent-means-paralegal-shortcut/, but you need to go through a lot of hurdles to get there. The SQE may also shake things up here.

Working as a paralegal will demonstrate to firms that you are interested in a career in commercial law. It may also lead to interviewers wondering why you had to go through that route to secure a training contract. But as long as you demonstrate you are a good candidate, that shouldn't that big of an issue.

I know I still haven't answered your question! Assuming you can't find a paralegal role, is there anything you could do instead while you still apply? And is the money a big issue for you?

Kazam

Star Member
Early Bird
Aug 13, 2018
It sounds like you are a strong candidate if you made it through to final interviews at those kinds of firms. I think all or almost all of the roles I have seen for a paralegal require you to have done the LPC. I'm sure there are some that don't, but it may be tough to find one.

I'm not too familiar with the route after that. I do know that you can qualify as a paralegal through the "equivalent means" route: https://www.thelawyer.com/equivalent-means-paralegal-shortcut/, but you need to go through a lot of hurdles to get there. The SQE may also shake things up here.

Working as a paralegal will demonstrate to firms that you are interested in a career in commercial law. It may also lead to interviewers wondering why you had to go through that route to secure a training contract. But as long as you demonstrate you are a good candidate, that shouldn't that big of an issue.

I know I still haven't answered your question! Assuming you can't find a paralegal role, is there anything you could do instead while you still apply? And is the money a big issue for you?

I've thought about this before - Don't forget that some firms fund your fees retrospectively. Obviously that's not something you can rely on, but that might help make your money decision easier.

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
I've thought about this before - Don't forget that some firms fund your fees retrospectively. Obviously that's not something you can rely on, but that might help make your money decision easier.

That's true. The type of firms the OP has interviewed at are likely to be the ones to provide retrospective funding.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.