Non-law student help - is competition good?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I am a non-law student & I am a bit confused about competition law.

Say if company A is acquiring company B. Company B's product has a lot of competition. Is it attractive or unattractive for company A to acquire company B knowing the product has competition in the market? And why? I am getting super confused, thanks so much in advance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am a non-law student & I am a bit confused about competition law.

Say if company A is acquiring company B. Company B's product has a lot of competition. Is it attractive or unattractive for company A to acquire company B knowing the product has competition in the market? And why? I am getting super confused, thanks so much in advance!

I'm assuming this question was put in the context of competition law, rather than just being a question why competition is generally good or bad.

Looking at this question strictly from a competition law perspective, and put very simplistically, more competition is attractive because it would imply the acquisition would not give the acquirer an overly dominant position in the market and impede competition. As a result, this would be less likely to attract the attention of competition regulators.

(Obviously it depends on the size of the companies we are discussing, where the acquisition takes place, whether it triggers the relevant thresholds etc.)

Reactions: Lawbour and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.