Open day application

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi all

I always get a bit thrown off when asked "Why do you want to attend an open day with X firm?"

I have only applied for two open days in my time, the first I was rejected from and the second I am waiting to hear back. I want to make sure I am approaching this question in the right way before applying for any more.

I usually explain why I am interested in the firm and what I think I will gain from attending an open day. Is that how everyone else would approach this? I don't want to go off on a tangent explaining why I am so interested in the firm if that is not what the question is really asking.

Advice would be welcome!

Camilla

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all

I always get a bit thrown off when asked "Why do you want to attend an open day with X firm?"

I have only applied for two open days in my time, the first I was rejected from and the second I am waiting to hear back. I want to make sure I am approaching this question in the right way before applying for any more.

I usually explain why I am interested in the firm and what I think I will gain from attending an open day. Is that how everyone else would approach this? I don't want to go off on a tangent explaining why I am so interested in the firm if that is not what the question is really asking.

Advice would be welcome!

Camilla

Sounds like the right approach me to.

Reactions: Camilla

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
    You are in the right direction, that is how I approach the question too.

Usually I give a more 'formal' answer and cover the following:-

- What attracts me to the firm and the open day;
    - What I hope to learn/achieve with this activity;
    - Usually I also mention an area(s) that attracts me of the firm and the fact that I'd like to know more about it through the trainees and associates;
    - It enables me to openly network with students, trainees, graduate recruitment and also associates/partners;
    - (if this is for one of the firms you want to apply for VS/TC) I also mention how this open day would give me a brief experience of the firm/working environment/colleagues/daily activities as a trainee.

Do not be disheartened if you get the bad news, maybe it is to do with the intake of open days and not your answer what made them take the decision. Eventually, you will get plenty of invitations and you will be at a stage where you have to choose one over the other!

Good Luck :)

Reactions: F1_Legal

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hi,

What is the best way to approach the following question? - In 300 words, we are keen to hear more about you and the extra-curricular activities you have been involved in

I have started by discussing my extra-curricular sport activities which I have been heavily involved in as captain and president of a club.

However, I am unsure as to whether I should talk about volunteering at a legal clinic and taking part in legal competitions (client interviewing, mooting) or talk more about other interests I have (travelling and tech).

Some of my legal volunteering will already be included in my work experience section and so I think it wont need explaining twice.

I am keen to get other perspectives on how to approach this question!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

What is the best way to approach the following question? - In 300 words, we are keen to hear more about you and the extra-curricular activities you have been involved in

I have started by discussing my extra-curricular sport activities which I have been heavily involved in as captain and president of a club.

However, I am unsure as to whether I should talk about volunteering at a legal clinic and taking part in legal competitions (client interviewing, mooting) or talk more about other interests I have (travelling and tech).

Some of my legal volunteering will already be included in my work experience section and so I think it wont need explaining twice.

I’d definitely include everything you have mentioned, maybe with the exception of the law clinic if that’s in your work experience. The approach is just to be super concise, don’t explain the self explanatory (eg what a captain does or what mooting is) and focus the detail on any achievements in those activities.

Reactions: r14n

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    I’d definitely include everything you have mentioned, maybe with the exception of the law clinic if that’s in your work experience. The approach is just to be super concise, don’t explain the self explanatory (eg what a captain does or what mooting is) and focus the detail on any achievements in those activities.

Thank you! thats very helpful.

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
    Hi,

You are in the right direction, certainly include the volunteering, legal clinic and competitions but also include your activities outside educations too, so your travelling, interest in tech and all of that good stuff.

If part of your work experience listing has the volunteering covered, then I would only explain it once and in detail so it doesn't need a further explanation.

My personal approach is to include two academic extra-curricular and three non-academic activities which, in turn, shows I am involved within my university union as well as outside at my own accord.

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    You are in the right direction, certainly include the volunteering, legal clinic and competitions but also include your activities outside educations too, so your travelling, interest in tech and all of that good stuff.

If part of your work experience listing has the volunteering covered, then I would only explain it once and in detail so it doesn't need a further explanation.

My personal approach is to include two academic extra-curricular and three non-academic activities which, in turn, shows I am involved within my university union as well as outside at my own accord.

Thanks! the two academic and three non-academic seems like a good approach to take!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.