Pinsent Masons AC

nonlaw2025graduate

Feb 6, 2024
Hello! Thank you so much for being willing to help.

Not sure how you structure was in 2020 but here is my structure

- 45 minute motivation/competency interview
- 60 minute intray exercise
- partner case study interview

How would you advise me on how to prepare for the motivation/competency interview? I know to learn specifically about their values, but if you remember, what kind of specific questions did they ask you? Also, I know the importance of researching the firm but how specific do you think I delve into?

If you did do the intray exercise - do you mind explaining what exactly you did as I am a bit lost on what to expect and any tips if you have any.

Regarding the last interview, how much M&A knowledge do you think I should learn? I have subscribed to TCLA academy but not sure if that is enough.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this :)

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hello! Thank you so much for being willing to help.

Not sure how you structure was in 2020 but here is my structure

- 45 minute motivation/competency interview
    - 60 minute intray exercise
    - partner case study interview

How would you advise me on how to prepare for the motivation/competency interview? I know to learn specifically about their values, but if you remember, what kind of specific questions did they ask you? Also, I know the importance of researching the firm but how specific do you think I delve into?

If you did do the intray exercise - do you mind explaining what exactly you did as I am a bit lost on what to expect and any tips if you have any.

Regarding the last interview, how much M&A knowledge do you think I should learn? I have subscribed to TCLA academy but not sure if that is enough.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this :)
    Hi there,

No worries!

My structure was a little different. I only had a motivation/competency interview and a case study analysis presentation. The intray exercise was done as part of the post-VS assessment centre for the TC (which also included another interview and case study). I assume you're asking me about the interviews that take place for a VS offer, but I'll speak briefly about the in-tray as well.

The way I prepared was I explored the TCLA interview question bank and wrote out in bulletpoint answers to those questions. The ones I were asked (I think) were about teamwork, life motivation, and why commercial law. Here's two I found: Link 1 and Link 2. They bears similar resemblance to the one I used when preparing. I was asked one commercial question, which was to speak about any news and the implications around it. As far as I remember, I wasn't asked any firm-specific questions, but I would suggest just knowing in general what the firms specialities are, how they define their culture and what that means, and also prepare some questions for your interviewer.

As for the in-tray exercise, I believe you receive a series of emails, and you are given the time-limit to prioritise and deal with the email. Imbedded within some emails were proofreading exercises. I don't remember much else. You could try a practice in-tray exercise to get a feel for it.

I don't remember having to use any M&A knowledge of the last interview. My case study wasn't specifically about M&A so it wasn't relevant. Other commercial aspects was required to provide a deeper analysis, such as knowing financing options and implications, the then general economic climate and trends, and other considerations that one would have to account when embarking on that particular transaction. That said, you may get a case study that requires M&A knowledge.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your AC!

Reactions: nonlaw2025graduate

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.