Post Uni Career Advice

TJames12

Nov 21, 2021
Hi All, I am feeling very lost about what career I would like to pursue now I have finished Uni so I was wondering if anybody could speak on their experiences. I completed a law degree but tbh I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected so I am now questioning whether I should pursue a career in law. As I haven't obtained a TC I am skeptical to take the paralegal route as I don't want to regret not pursuing another career in the event that I still can't get a TC after years in a paralegal position. If I don't decide to pursue a legal career can anybody suggest another industry which may be suitable to a law grad? I enjoy the problem solving side of law and would like a career with good progression. For some reason I have this feeling of failure that I wouldn't be utilising my law degree by becoming a solicitor. I was wondering if anybody took the paralegal route and successfully gained a TC and how long it took them? If somebody could speak on their experience and give me some advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All, I am feeling very lost about what career I would like to pursue now I have finished Uni so I was wondering if anybody could speak on their experiences. I completed a law degree but tbh I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected so I am now questioning whether I should pursue a career in law. As I haven't obtained a TC I am skeptical to take the paralegal route as I don't want to regret not pursuing another career in the event that I still can't get a TC after years in a paralegal position. If I don't decide to pursue a legal career can anybody suggest another industry which may be suitable to a law grad? I enjoy the problem solving side of law and would like a career with good progression. For some reason I have this feeling of failure that I wouldn't be utilising my law degree by becoming a solicitor. I was wondering if anybody took the paralegal route and successfully gained a TC and how long it took them? If somebody could speak on their experience and give me some advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
A minority of law graduates go into legal careers - you are not on your own here.

The majority of graduate jobs do not need a specific degree discipline, so you could go into a whole range of careers. Other professional services (consulting, finance, accountancy etc), public sector, research, recruitment, tech, any form of support function roles (eg marketing/HR/business development), sales…. This list goes on and on.

I’d recommend speaking to your careers service at your uni. You will typically have access to their services for at least three years after graduating.

Reactions: AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @TJames12,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for reaching out for support. Although this is not a set of questions I actually confronted (partly because I was a non-law student), I was definitely preparing myself to face what you are considering. I know this must be difficult. It goes without saying, but we really are here to help you.

I think @Jessica Booker has listed some great ideas here.

Out of interest, why did you choose to study law in the first place? One thing I have heard is that studying and practicing law are two very different things. I would also add that studying law, and then not ultimately becoming a lawyer is not failing. It is just pursuing the career which you think suits you best in light of things you have realised during your degree. Don't commit to something just because you think you should! You can use the skills that you developed during your law degree in a wide range of careers.

I thought that I would ask for @BigThrowaway's thoughts on this. I know that they have converted a paralegal role into a TC offer recently and might be able to shed some light on this. No pressure by the way @BigThrowaway(!). I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on this though! 🤸‍♂️

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.