Previous successful application

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
If you had an application that was successful but failed at interview stage, how much should you realistically change/update that application for the new submission. I was planning on maybe updating my experiences/work experience (its a cover letter application) but leaving my why law and the reasons for the firm more or less the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think I have already answered this, but in case not, I would still expect some minor changes to the sections you are suggesting will stay the same.

Has nothing that you have done since your last application influenced your decision to reapply? Eg has it not consolidated your interest in x practice area, or working with y clients? Did your experience interviewing with the firm give you more drive to reapply? Etc

• ℹ️
Reactions: CF

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
I think I have already answered this, but in case not, I would still expect some minor changes to the sections you are suggesting will stay the same.

Has nothing that you have done since your last application influenced your decision to reapply? Eg has it not consolidated your interest in x practice area, or working with y clients? Did your experience interviewing with the firm give you more drive to reapply? Etc

I was thinking of adding how one of my modules this year had reinforced my appeal to x firms international approach...
would this be along the right lines?

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019

In terms of work experience, I am not sure whether this was adressed already but how would you suggest an applicant lists responsibilities or achievements during work experiences? Bulletin point approach, complete sentences, how much Information is necessary?

Thank you in advance

Judy

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was thinking of adding how one of my modules this year had reinforced my appeal to x firms international approach...
would this be along the right lines?

Exactly - career motivations will also be refined and adapt as you learn more, even if the core is exactly the same. That’s the kind of detail to focus on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In terms of work experience, I am not sure whether this was adressed already but how would you suggest an applicant lists responsibilities or achievements during work experiences? Bulletin point approach, complete sentences, how much Information is necessary?

Thank you in advance

Judy

Either bullet points or full sentences is fine (unless the firm specifically tells you to take a particular approach).

Don’t use filler phrases or provide detail that is self explanatory, or already provided.

Too many work experience descriptions will start off like “As a summer intern at Gobbledygook law firm, I had the opportunity to work with Trainees, Associates and Partners”

All of the above is pointless and a complete waste of word count. The work experience section most likely has a job title entry and an employer entry, so that’s just repetition. The rest is just waffle and the obvious.

Focus on the key things you personally achieved. Be specific, try to focus on the things that’s you did rather than anything that could be said of any work experience person.

Also focus on the key things you learnt - work experience can often be pretty dull and you can often not be given a lot of responsibility. So try to focus on the things you personally achieved/learnt instead (if that is the case).

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Either bullet points or full sentences is fine (unless the firm specifically tells you to take a particular approach).

Don’t use filler phrases or provide detail that is self explanatory, or already provided.

Too many work experience descriptions will start off like “As a summer intern at Gobbledygook law firm, I had the opportunity to work with Trainees, Associates and Partners”

All of the above is pointless and a complete waste of word count. The work experience section most likely has a job title entry and an employer entry, so that’s just repetition. The rest is just waffle and the obvious.

Focus on the key things you personally achieved. Be specific, try to focus on the things that’s you did rather than anything that could be said of any work experience person.

Also focus on the key things you learnt - work experience can often be pretty dull and you can often not be given a lot of responsibility. So try to focus on the things you personally achieved/learnt instead (if that is the case).

Thanks a lot Jessica!

Phoebe

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 25, 2018
If the application questions are exactly the same and are competency based i.e. nothing related to the firm or your motivations would you advise using the same answers?

I was rejected post interview for the application and I've since gained a lot more legal work experience so my application would be different in that respect.

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If the application questions are exactly the same and are competency based i.e. nothing related to the firm or your motivations would you advise using the same answers?

I was rejected post interview for the application and I've since gained a lot more legal work experience so my application would be different in that respect.

Thanks

You can, but I would question whether someone has more recent examples that could be better ones to use, or whether the way it is written could be critically evaluated and therefore improved even if the example is the same.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.