Public company vs private company M&A

QWERTY123

Standard Member
Sep 3, 2019
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give me a brief overview of the difference between merging/acquiring with public vs private companies?
Not seen much about it in the excellent M&A guides here- is that because these all refer to private companies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Generally I think with the acquisition of public companies, its open to the public so subject to arguably more scrutiny as people have more access to data ect. With the acquisition of private M&A deals, upper management is usually the one in control with such information. Also with public M&A deals, it is likely more difficult to find a specific shareholder at fault since there will be many shareholders. With private M&A deals, it’s probably easier to identify. So this will be more prevalent during the post-closing stage, let’s say if the seller promised something for the buyer but failed to do so. In public M&A deals, I imagine it would be very difficult to ask for compensation due to the multitude of shareholders as opposed to a private M&A where you could (in principle) hold the seller directly responsible.

• 🏆
Reactions: R203

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.