Question on your greatest achievements

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi guys,

This I think is the type of application question I struggle the most with! I'm not sure what the firms are trying to get out of me from this kind of question, is it a competency-based or motivation-based? Are they trying to find out what values I deem to be important? Do I need to provide concrete examples, i.e. successful leadership of a student society, or can I provide a more abstract answer, i.e. overcome my fear in public speaking and secured a place in a mooting competition's quarter-final? Does it need to be something huge and incredibly impactful or small achievements are okay?

Will really appreciate any advice or sharing of examples of how you have successfully approached this sort of question in the past. Thank you!

Last edited:

kaveesha

Star Member
TCLA Writer
Mar 22, 2018
Honestly, I think any example you think is relevant probably is! When I spoke to two Dentons partners, they seemed to prefer the abstract answers and the small but more personal achievements you mentioned. But I think it might differ across firms. I say go with what you feel most comfortable expanding on + feel more passionate about.

Reactions: 12ualha22

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Honestly, I think any example you think is relevant probably is! When I spoke to two Dentons partners, they seemed to prefer the abstract answers and the small but more personal achievements you mentioned. But I think it might differ across firms. I say go with what you feel most comfortable expanding on + feel more passionate about.
Thanks so much for sharing!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.