recruitment agency training

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    Hi everyone, I am being offered solicitor shadowing and training by a recruitment agency for an amount of money. After the shadowing, there will be a final interview, if I am successful I will be offered a permanent job as a trainee paralegal at the client firm. This is the first time that I am coming across such kind of scheme. Has anyone had a similar experience? As I have no work experience, I am considering accepting the offer but would like to know if paying for that is worth it or not.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    I would always be wary of anyone requesting money for recruitment. There are many people that take advantage of how competitive the industry is. You shouldn't ever need to pay to get a job and these kind of schemes are frowned upon

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Definitely wouldn't pay if I were you. It's easy to build up work experience without paying a penny. If you're after any sort of work experience, cold-calling local law firms is a great start. You can also confidently apply for vac schemes without work experience, especially if you draw out transferable skills from your extra-curricular activities.

Paralegal positions aren't out of the question either, particularly if you can draw on interesting extra-curricular experiences and have a solid academic background. I'm paralegalling for a great international commercial firm right now, and I did so a) without paying a penny and b) having no legal work experience at all. The key is not to undersell yourself and to draw out your qualities from your extracurricular experiences.

The fact the agency are asking for pay seems sketchy at best, and exploitative at worst.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    The fact you'd have to pay for this scheme also seems disproportionate, considering a) you'd only be shadowing a solicitor and training with them (with no guarantee of meaningful work responsibilities) and b) there's no guarantee they'll even take you on after the final interview.

I'd probably avoid.

Reactions: Soliha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am being offered solicitor shadowing and training by a recruitment agency for an amount of money. After the shadowing, there will be a final interview, if I am successful I will be offered a permanent job as a trainee paralegal at the client firm. This is the first time that I am coming across such kind of scheme. Has anyone had a similar experience? As I have no work experience, I am considering accepting the offer but would like to know if paying for that is worth it or not.
    Don’t do it! This is not how it should work at all. You should never be paying someone for access to job opportunities.

Please can you PM me the company’s name too?

Reactions: Soliha and M777

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    The fact you'd have to pay for this scheme also seems disproportionate, considering a) you'd only be shadowing a solicitor and training with them (with no guarantee of meaningful work responsibilities) and b) there's no guarantee they'll even take you on after the final interview.

I'd probably avoid.
    Thank you for your reply. I was also thinking about these.

Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is highly suspicious.

I have looked at the company online and their “tutors” don’t seem to be anyone with professional experience. They are likely to be fake profiles on LinkedIn.

This looks very much like a scam. If it isn’t, it’s just highly immoral. Paying £1,500 for work experience is just an awful practice and one that should be banned in my opinion.

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    This is highly suspicious.

I have looked at the company online and their “tutors” don’t seem to be anyone with professional experience. They are likely to be fake profiles on LinkedIn.

This looks very much like a scam. If it isn’t, it’s just highly immoral. Paying £1,500 for work experience is just an awful practice and one that should be banned in my opinion.
    Thank you very much, Jessica, I am really happy that I asked this question here.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.