Relevant Work Experience

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Hello,

Something I always struggle with for applications is a lack of relevant work experience. I haven't done any vac schemes and my only legal experience is two months' part time at an immigration law firm. I've had various jobs since sixth form (cleaner, factory worker, bar staff, hostess, cashier etc.), but not proper business/commercial roles. I'm now in my first proper job since graduating (in the fund research team at a wealth management company) but I don't think this is enough.

Currently writing my application for Kirkland and an interview with grad rec said "In terms of other requirements, we’re looking for a minimum 2.1 and strong A level results, as well as work experience in a similar environment to ours". I've read a successful application and this person had done numerous shadowing, insight schemes and interned at places such as KPMG...

Not really sure what my question is, but feel like giving up because I think I'll be screened out already. How can I come across as a credible candidate when I'm already on the back foot so to speak??

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Are you applying for vacation schemes or training contracts?

If you're applying for vacation schemes, you're fine. You have some legal experience and by the sounds of your other experiences, you have definitely worked "in a similar environment". Just have a good answer to justify your interest in commercial law. And, if you've attended open days/insight days, you should leverage these in your answer.

Reactions: Naomi

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hello,

Something I always struggle with for applications is a lack of relevant work experience. I haven't done any vac schemes and my only legal experience is two months' part time at an immigration law firm. I've had various jobs since sixth form (cleaner, factory worker, bar staff, hostess, cashier etc.), but not proper business/commercial roles. I'm now in my first proper job since graduating (in the fund research team at a wealth management company) but I don't think this is enough.

Currently writing my application for Kirkland and an interview with grad rec said "In terms of other requirements, we’re looking for a minimum 2.1 and strong A level results, as well as work experience in a similar environment to ours". I've read a successful application and this person had done numerous shadowing, insight schemes and interned at places such as KPMG...

Not really sure what my question is, but feel like giving up because I think I'll be screened out already. How can I come across as a credible candidate when I'm already on the back foot so to speak??

Obviously a candidate with internships at KPMG etc will look more impressive there’s no doubt in that. But don’t think of your lack of legal experience as a negative because you still have valid legal experience. Just because it might not be relevant to K&E’s finance focused practice there will still be many useful skills that you picked up that are easily transferable. E.g. you may have handled multiple immigration cases at the same time demonstrating prioritisation and organisational capabilities, which are key to K&E trainees because you will likely be handling multiple deals for senior lawyers.

Don’t neglect the skills you picked up in your non legal jobs as well. E.g. your work as a hostess is great for client service skills. And you work as a bartender could demonstrate working under pressure.

Research a firms key attributes they look for in a candidate and pick out work experience that relate to the skills required. Once you start to look at the different things you’ve done (it sounds like you’ve done a lot) you’ll be surprised at how many skills you’ve developed.

Try not to compare yourself to other candidates as it will only demotivate you and make you less confident which will come across when you are trying to sell yourself in your application.

Good luck!

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    Obviously a candidate with internships at KPMG etc will look more impressive there’s no doubt in that. But don’t think of your lack of legal experience as a negative because you still have valid legal experience. Just because it might not be relevant to K&E’s finance focused practice there will still be many useful skills that you picked up that are easily transferable. E.g. you may have handled multiple immigration cases at the same time demonstrating prioritisation and organisational capabilities, which are key to K&E trainees because you will likely be handling multiple deals for senior lawyers.

Don’t neglect the skills you picked up in your non legal jobs as well. E.g. your work as a hostess is great for client service skills. And you work as a bartender could demonstrate working under pressure.

Research a firms key attributes they look for in a candidate and pick out work experience that relate to the skills required. Once you start to look at the different things you’ve done (it sounds like you’ve done a lot) you’ll be surprised at how many skills you’ve developed.

Try not to compare yourself to other candidates as it will only demotivate you and make you less confident which will come across when you are trying to sell yourself in your application.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for this, it's made me feel a lot better about the situation! I guess I just have to make the best of my circumstances and hope for the best.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.