Work experience section for Vacation Scheme application

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering how applicants best approach the work experience section on applications. I have come across the OWL format from Idin Sabpour. This includes Overview, Work done, and Lessons learnt (extra bonus for linking back to the firm). However, graduate recruitment teams mention being able to reflect on the skills gained from your work experiences.

Do you tend to focus on a particular set of skills (approx. 2-3) gained in each work experience, or do you aim to cover everything you learned for each experience?

I would be very interested to know how you approach this. I previously applied for the Macfarlanes Vacation Scheme and believe that I was successful because I had a concise and informative work experience section (linking back to the firm) compared to other applications.

Thank you

Reactions: Arianne Kez

Arianne Kez

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 7, 2023
Hiya,

I had the same question as Mike.

I have also been using Idin Sabpour’s OWL system but trying to integrate the STAR method by adding a specific action and result segment.

But is it better to focus on one STAR or OWL example (so one task, action, and result) to produce a clearer and more succinct answer, even if this means leaving out other role responsibilities?

Also, Mike, did you follow the STAR or OWL method in your Macfarlanes application? Did you focus on one or two responsibilities and corresponding skills or several? I am applying to the Macfarlane vacation scheme this year, so it would be super helpful to hear your insight!

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hiya,

I had the same question as Mike.

I have also been using Idin Sabpour’s OWL system but trying to integrate the STAR method by adding a specific action and result segment.

But is it better to focus on one STAR or OWL example (so one task, action, and result) to produce a clearer and more succinct answer, even if this means leaving out other role responsibilities?

Also, Mike, did you follow the STAR or OWL method in your Macfarlanes application? Did you focus on one or two responsibilities and corresponding skills or several? I am applying to the Macfarlane vacation scheme this year, so it would be super helpful to hear your insight!

I appreciate any help you can provide.

STAR is only really works for competency questions (eg “tell me about a time you….”). I generally would avoid it for work experience sections.

Reactions: AlexJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.