Retaking alevels whilst at uni

Hannah.00

Aug 20, 2023
I’m going to Leicester uni to study LLB law. It’s a non Russel group uni which I wasn’t hoping for but I have been told by many people that this deosnt matter aslong as I get a 2:1 when I graduate. My Alevels are ABC and I know that many law firms in silver circle want AAB. I want to retake 2 of my alevels whilst at uni as I will still have understanding and knowledge of the courses. My predicted grades were A*AA and I know that if I retake I can get better grades. Would somebody please advise me on what to do? And if A*AC would be good enough if I get this as my resit grade?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m going to Leicester uni to study LLB law. It’s a non Russel group uni which I wasn’t hoping for but I have been told by many people that this deosnt matter aslong as I get a 2:1 when I graduate. My Alevels are ABC and I know that many law firms in silver circle want AAB. I want to retake 2 of my alevels whilst at uni as I will still have understanding and knowledge of the courses. My predicted grades were A*AA and I know that if I retake I can get better grades. Would somebody please advise me on what to do? And if A*AC would be good enough if I get this as my resit grade?
I don’t think there is any point in doing this. It would’ve better to focus on getting great first year grades.

Most firms who have an A-level criteria will consider it for first sitting only anyway - you’d have to declare them as resits, and I think most firms would suggest just focusing on your degree and building up the rest of your CV.

Reactions: FM302989

Hannah.00

Aug 20, 2023
I don’t think there is any point in doing this. It would’ve better to focus on getting great first year grades.

Most firms who have an A-level criteria will consider it for first sitting only anyway - you’d have to declare them as resits, and I think most firms would suggest just focusing on your degree and building up the rest of your CV.
If with plenty of work experience and with at least a 2:1 will I have a chance to get a training contract at any London firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If with plenty of work experience and with at least a 2:1 will I have a chance to get a training contract at any London firm?
It will come down to more than work experience an academics, but there are plenty of people who will start or have started training contracts with law firms in London with lower A-level grades than yours.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.