Returning application for Withers vac scheme

Sebastian Fender

Standard Member
May 21, 2020
I applied for Withers vac scheme last year and my application was successful up to interview stage. How much do I need to change my application for this year?

I can change a few of the answers for 'team work' and 'client focus' as I can draw on some non-commercial work experience since I last applied. However, I feel that my previous answers still showcase my skills and experiences better than anything I have done since.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Even if you don't want to change your answers completely, I would still suggest trying to add in anything new you've learnt from your new experiences that relates back to the rest of your answer. I think it's always best to demonstrate to firms that you've gone out of your way to gain new experiences and develop as a stronger candidate.

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I applied for Withers vac scheme last year and my application was successful up to interview stage. How much do I need to change my application for this year?

I can change a few of the answers for 'team work' and 'client focus' as I can draw on some non-commercial work experience since I last applied. However, I feel that my previous answers still showcase my skills and experiences better than anything I have done since.

I would always recommend changing your application up- even if you're using similar examples etc, look at changing structure/ phrases/ word choice used to make the application read differently. Not changing the application runs the risk of a Grad Rec member reading the application and remembering it from a previous cycle, interpreting it as 'lazy' (even though that is not necessarily the case) etc. If I were you, I would actually bring into focus the things that you've learned and done since the last app cycle to show that you're a better candidate than you were a year ago. @Jessica Booker might be able to give more insight from a GR perspective, but, if I were in their shoes, I would only consider letting the application progress if the candidate showed to a good standard how they had worked to improve since the last time they interacted with the firm.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.