Rolling Basis Recruitment Realities

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I just wanted to find out the likelihood of places filling up on vac schemes at certain firms. Earlier I saw mentioned that Jones Day's Winter vac scheme fills up by mid-October. I've also experienced Shearman & Sterling fill up their training contracts (and therefore stopped recruiting for their vacation schemes) by April/May.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I understand what a rolling basis process means but sometimes you don't trust it to truly fill up right till the last moment.

Reactions: AJ

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
This all depends on the quality of candidates and how long recruitment is opened for. If they interview great people then they'll likely give them a place. If not, they'll continue to interview.

Jones Day hold insight evenings around this time of year for their winter scheme so I doubt they'll hand out all places before these events have occurred.

Reactions: Hazal

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I’ve often thought about this. And in particular trying to balance applications for rolling firms against those that say they’ll read/respond after the deadline.

Ive found some firms who’re non rolling seem to have an easier application. So a bit confused if I should just submit those even though they’re non rolling.

Regarding rolling and scheme places, from what I’ve read and understand, timing doesn’t entirely matter. Even if places are full for your desired scheme dates, if your application and assessment go well you’ll be able to change dates.

Maccie

Future Trainee
Sep 22, 2018
I read the same thing about Jones Day already filling up all available places on the vac scheme earlier this week and asked the question to Graduate Recruitment at a Jones Day Question Time event: this is simply not true and although time is of the essence (I am aiming to send my application no later than tomorrow), I was assured that they were still considering applications for both schemes. However, they do recommend making more than one choice of vac scheme (I also applied for the Spring one).

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I’ve finished drafting up answers for applications. Is it worth submitting now even though they’re non rolling and will close in January??

Are you referring to Jones Day? They are rolling.

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Are you referring to Jones Day? They are rolling.

No. Another couple of firms which close 31 January. They clearly say they’re not rolling. Should I submit asap after I’m done drafting the application or wait nearly the deadline towards December or Jan.
    For non rolling I see limited value in submitting early?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    No. Another couple of firms which close 31 January. They clearly say they’re not rolling. Should I submit asap after I’m done drafting the application or wait nearly the deadline towards December or Jan.

I would submit near to the deadline and focus on the firms that are rolling.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I mean if you've done the applications then you may as well submit them now, unless you think you're likely to improve them between now and the deadline. But yes, no added benefit to submitted early, other than getting that application out the way.

BC2000

Mar 6, 2018
    As consideration, I applied to Jones Day around the 10th October last year; received an email at the beginning of November advising that all winter spaces were full and I had been transferred to Spring/Summer. As consideration, Jones Day receive around 1700 applicants and interview about 20% of applicants last year. I would imagine by December all spaces will be full for Spring, will probably fill summer by end of Jan.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.