Secured a training contract

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
Hello,

I’ve managed to secure a TC via a straight training contract application with an MC firm and I’m incredibly chuffed. This is after 1.5 years of trying, two vacation schemes, 5 ACs, 22 applications, and my family fairly sick of me... so I hope that shows trying again and again pays off!

Student room and this site has been immensely helpful, so thank you!

l have a question though...

Should I email GR in order to get my offer email as the partner rang me yesterday and I haven’t got it yet ?!

Also I was a bit spluttery on the phone and thought I should email the partner to formally say thank you or would this be over kill?!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello,

I’ve managed to secure a TC via a straight training contract application with an MC firm and I’m incredibly chuffed. This is after 1.5 years of trying, two vacation schemes, 5 ACs, 32 applications, and my family fairly sick of me... so I hope that shows trying again and again pays off!

Should I email GR in order to get my offer email as the partner rang me yesterday and I haven’t got it yet ?!

Also I was a bit spluttery on the phone and thought I should email the partner to formally say thank you or would this be over kill?!

Excellent news, well done. It's definitely a running theme on this site that perseverance pays off!

I would wait to receive your offer email. It may take a little time for graduate recruitment to organise this, but don't worry -- you have got your offer.

I don't think it's too much to email the partner to formally say thank you.

Reactions: Legalese

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
    Excellent news, well done. It's definitely a running theme on this site that perseverance pays off!

I would wait to receive your offer email. It may take a little time for graduate recruitment to organise this, but don't worry -- you have got your offer.

I don't think it's too much to email the partner to formally say thank you.

Okay thanks, I think I will hold my horses for GR and maybe send an email to the partner this evening ! Happy to stick around on this site to share my experiences and see if I can lend a hand.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Okay thanks, I think I will hold my horses for GR and maybe send an email to the partner this evening ! Happy to stick around on this site to share my experiences and see if I can lend a hand.

We'd love it if you stuck around, thank you. That's what makes the site!

P.S. We will soon be coming out with resources targeted at future trainees, which will hopefully be useful for when you start your TC.

Reactions: Legalese

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hello,

I’ve managed to secure a TC via a straight training contract application with an MC firm and I’m incredibly chuffed. This is after 1.5 years of trying, two vacation schemes, 5 ACs, 32 applications, and my family fairly sick of me... so I hope that shows trying again and again pays off!

Well done for your training contract, that's amazing. You've also motivated me to apply to a lot more firms - where did you find the time to send 32 applications!?

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
    Well done for your training contract, that's amazing. You've also motivated me to apply to a lot more firms - where did you find the time to send 32 applications!?

I honestly think many people apply to at least 15+ firms. Really depends on your approach though, and some of those were applications to the same firms a second time around. I did about 6 each window so: vac scheme 2017, TC 2019, winter vac scheme 2017, vac scheme 2018, and finally TC 2020. It is hard work, but I would always have an application on the burner and focus on them in the evenings and my GDL / LPC during the day time.

• 🏆
    Reactions: SameerS and Salma

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I honestly think many people apply to at least 15+ firms. Really depends on your approach though, and some of those were applications to the same firms a second time around. I did about 6 each window so: vac scheme 2017, TC 2019, winter vac scheme 2017, vac scheme 2018, and finally TC 2020. It is hard work, but I would always have an application on the burner and focus on them in the evenings and my GDL / LPC during the day time.

That makes sense. So in your opinion, would you say it's mostly a numbers game? Also I assume you had to justify to the MC firm why you wanted them (over the other ACs/schemes you did) - how did you manage that?

Sorry for the many questions - I just would love to be in your position. I'm on my second round of apps - soon to be third round, so I'm getting desperate to get something soon!

SameerS

Star Member
    Jul 30, 2018
    That makes sense. So in your opinion, would you say it's mostly a numbers game? Also I assume you had to justify to the MC firm why you wanted them (over the other ACs/schemes you did) - how did you manage that?

Sorry for the many questions - I just would love to be in your position. I'm on my second round of apps - soon to be third round, so I'm getting desperate to get something soon!

You are asking the questions that we all want to know.

Good Job mate.

Reactions: FreddyS

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018

I wouldn't say it is a numbers game entirely. Looking back during my first app cycle I chose very specific firms that aligned to my non-legal work experience and my background generally. That was a 'successful' application cycle as I did secure x1 vacation scheme and 1x firm equivalent vacation scheme.... I ended up not securing the TC from the vacation scheme for a silly and avoidable reason but for personal reasons I couldn't and didn't deliver. I was also invited to two video interviews but didn't do them as I had already secured the vacation scheme and had too much on my plate. So, out of 6 applications I 'progressed' with 4 of them. BUT that was because I had really researched what kind of firm would align with me.

I know the latter is correct because the next time around I did circa 12 scattergun apps and only got 2 ACs, and to be honest, I got nowhere with those firms.

I didn't need to justify why I wanted the MC firm over other firms because they were similar firms. I was honestly very upfront and said of course I was disappointed not to secure a training contract from my previous vacation scheme. And, to be honest, I think that was good enough for them because ultimately they are looking for someone who is interested in commercial law and wants to pursue a career in commercial law and answering honestly conveyed that.

SameerS

Star Member
    Jul 30, 2018
    What sort of questions did you ask yourself when you were researching what kind of firm would align with your personality

Because Il be the first one to put my hand and say I generally just find a firm that has a nice set of application questions and to be honest that's the main criteria for me, which is probably why I was unsuccessful in my first cycle.

If I can answer their applications questions strongly, thats the firm for me.

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
    What sort of questions did you ask yourself when you were researching what kind of firm would align with your personality

Because Il be the first one to put my hand and say I generally just find a firm that has a nice set of application questions and to be honest that's the main criteria for me, which is probably why I was unsuccessful in my first cycle.

Have a look at chambers student, the firm's graduate page and anywhere else to see what they look for in a candidate.... take say RPC... they have a charter or something which spells out clearly what type of person they want. So if you see that a firm has 'exemplary academic record' listed as their first criteria then perhaps a low 2.1 will not cut it for that firm. However, if a firm looks for creative/ambitious people and you set up a society/business then that would mean you might fit with the firm.

It is not ideal to chose based on application questions.

It is also important to look at whether the firm is national/regional/international or global. If you cannot demonstrate an interest in regional issues or conversely in global issues then again that would be a reason not to apply to the firm until you get something relevant on your CV.

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    Have a look at chambers student, the firm's graduate page and anywhere else to see what they look for in a candidate.... take say RPC... they have a charter or something which spells out clearly what type of person they want. So if you see that a firm has 'exemplary academic record' listed as their first criteria then perhaps a low 2.1 will not cut it for that firm. However, if a firm looks for creative/ambitious people and you set up a society/business then that would mean you might fit with the firm.

It is not ideal to chose based on application questions.

It is also important to look at whether the firm is national/regional/international or global. If you cannot demonstrate an interest in regional issues or conversely in global issues then again that would be a reason not to apply to the firm until you get something relevant on your CV.

Great advice!

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I wouldn't say it is a numbers game entirely. Looking back during my first app cycle I chose very specific firms that aligned to my non-legal work experience and my background generally. That was a 'successful' application cycle as I did secure x1 vacation scheme and 1x firm equivalent vacation scheme.... I ended up not securing the TC from the vacation scheme for a silly and avoidable reason but for personal reasons I couldn't and didn't deliver. I was also invited to two video interviews but didn't do them as I had already secured the vacation scheme and had too much on my plate. So, out of 6 applications I 'progressed' with 4 of them. BUT that was because I had really researched what kind of firm would align with me.

I know the latter is correct because the next time around I did circa 12 scattergun apps and only got 2 ACs, and to be honest, I got nowhere with those firms.

I didn't need to justify why I wanted the MC firm over other firms because they were similar firms. I was honestly very upfront and said of course I was disappointed not to secure a training contract from my previous vacation scheme. And, to be honest, I think that was good enough for them because ultimately they are looking for someone who is interested in commercial law and wants to pursue a career in commercial law and answering honestly conveyed that.

That was helpful, thanks. Especially your point about how you explained it to the interviewers - I'm going to just be honest with it going forward.

Kazam

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Aug 13, 2018
    Hello,

Hi Revans,

Sorry this is late, I just came across this thread. I think it's amazing that you secured an MC training contract -- that's been my dream for a while now.

Is there anything you wish you'd known before applying? Anything that you learned a bit later down the line that would have helped?

Thanks!

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
    Hi Revans,

Sorry this is late, I just came across this thread. I think it's amazing that you secured an MC training contract -- that's been my dream for a while now.

Is there anything you wish you'd known before applying? Anything that you learned a bit later down the line that would have helped?

Thanks!

Hello - sorry all I have edited my post as after taking away successful applications (for interviews I didn't go to or tests I didn't do and the two vac schemes I did actually get) I realistically did circa 22 applications.

I think the biggest change was just getting into a positive mindset before my AC and having a break from law for weeks at a time (if this is possible for you then I recommend it).

I also had to remember that across the table from me, was a partner, who was interviewing me. And, you really have to think about what this means. They own the business and you are having to sell yourself as a potential asset to that business, because the only capital in a law firm is its employees. I know that probably is stating the obvious but if I were to step in their shoes I know what kind of person I would want to interview and who would and would not inspire confidence.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Kazam, Jaysen and Salma

Kazam

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Aug 13, 2018
    Hello - sorry all I have edited my post as after taking away successful applications (for interviews I didn't go to or tests I didn't do and the two vac schemes I did actually get) I realistically did circa 22 applications.

I think the biggest change was just getting into a positive mindset before my AC and having a break from law for weeks at a time (if this is possible for you then I recommend it).

I also had to remember that across the table from me, was a partner, who was interviewing me. And, you really have to think about what this means. They own the business and you are having to sell yourself as a potential asset to that business, because the only capital in a law firm is its employees. I know that probably is stating the obvious but if I were to step in their shoes I know what kind of person I would want to interview and who would and would not inspire confidence.

That's very insightful, thank you! I think I need to work on my confidence. I get quite nervous during partner interviews and that keeps letting me down. Will try to have a positive mindset!

Last edited:

Maria Ivanova

Aug 20, 2018
    Congratulations! What did you say when you were asked why did you not get a TC offer from your vac schemes? Did you say, for instance, I had to improve skill X and I worked hard to improve it and now that is no longer an issue? Did you discuss the feedback that you were given after your vac schemes and did you go in-depth what have you learned?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CT and Kazam

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.