securing a vacation scheme/training contract as overseas student - advise needed!

Alexahills

Jan 9, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am an overseas student with an LL.B. from a Dutch university and have recently moved to the UK and am now wondering whether anyone could shed some light on my chances of getting into a vacation scheme/training contract here?

As I have a non-qualifying law degree, I was also wondering whether it would increase my chances if I would self-fund the GDL (or an LL.M.?) and then apply for vacation schemes/training contracts? Unfortunately, I thought I could increase my chances by getting into a paralegal/legal assistant positions in the UK but despite strong academics and some work experiences at university, I have so far not had any luck
frown.png

Thank you for any help!!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am an overseas student with an LL.B. from a Dutch university and have recently moved to the UK and am now wondering whether anyone could shed some light on my chances of getting into a vacation scheme/training contract here?

As I have a non-qualifying law degree, I was also wondering whether it would increase my chances if I would self-fund the GDL (or an LL.M.?) and then apply for vacation schemes/training contracts? Unfortunately, I thought I could increase my chances by getting into a paralegal/legal assistant positions in the UK but despite strong academics and some work experiences at university, I have so far not had any luck
frown.png

Thank you for any help!!

To answer the first part, as good a chance as anyone else, as long as the rest of your application is strong (i.e. how you present work experience/skills and answer the form questions).

Self funding GDL/LPC/LLM, is a very subjective decision, which I’m not sure anyone can answer for you. It is very situation specific. It is a risk, especially with SQE coming along - no idea if it will affect the substance of the GDL and/or add/remove to the SQE. Some firms will reimburse you, but not all. A master is less niche, whereas a GDL almost ties you law. But then either can also open you up to the opportunities at an institution to interact with firms and the career service (not that this is a reason to self fund either).

Personally, I’ve always been cynical of paralegalling towards a TC. Yes, great experience and gets your foot in the door with a firm, but a) some paralegals get taken advantage of by being asked to do associate level work with rewards not commensurate; and b) in the past I’ve seen the carrot of a TC be shown and people remain paralegals for a very long time. But if you are looking for paralegal work, sign up to a few agencies. They will usually have roles to fill at short notice or fixed term roles which could work to your advantage. Once you’ve got a few of those under your belt, you could go onto something more substantive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abstruser and Alexahills

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

frown.png

Thank you for any help!!

No one can shed light on your chances unfortunately.

I would just start applying to winter vacation schemes and see how your applications go.

It seems like some of the GDL providers are adapting the course to make it somewhat ready for the SQE anyway - so it might be a good idea to sign up.

When looking at someone like your’s application, is that there can be a concern you are just trying to CV build and that your long term aspirations are not to stay in the UK. If you have no ties to the UK, then there can also be a greater concern that you might not even like the UK!

You are in a difficult time predicament as you either have to make the decision to start the GDL in the next 12 months, or decide to wait for the SQE in 2021. You couldn’t start a traditional TC until Feb/Mar 2022 (assuming you started a GDL in the new year), but you could qualify by then if you accumulated the right work experience and passed the SQE stages.

Paralegal roles will be difficult if you don’t have any knowledge on English law - it’s why they typically will expect people to have a level of education within it. There are exceptions though. My advice - focus on the very short term paralegal roles, especially temp roles. Avoid permanent roles or lengthy contract roles, as these typically have higher expectations.

Alexahills

Jan 9, 2019
No one can shed light on your chances unfortunately.

I would just start applying to winter vacation schemes and see how your applications go.

It seems like some of the GDL providers are adapting the course to make it somewhat ready for the SQE anyway - so it might be a good idea to sign up.

When looking at someone like your’s application, is that there can be a concern you are just trying to CV build and that your long term aspirations are not to stay in the UK. If you have no ties to the UK, then there can also be a greater concern that you might not even like the UK!

You are in a difficult time predicament as you either have to make the decision to start the GDL in the next 12 months, or decide to wait for the SQE in 2021. You couldn’t start a traditional TC until Feb/Mar 2022 (assuming you started a GDL in the new year), but you could qualify by then if you accumulated the right work experience and passed the SQE stages.

Paralegal roles will be difficult if you don’t have any knowledge on English law - it’s why they typically will expect people to have a level of education within it. There are exceptions though. My advice - focus on the very short term paralegal roles, especially temp roles. Avoid permanent roles or lengthy contract roles, as these typically have higher expectations.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was just a bit concerned that city law firms may discriminate against qualifications not obtained in the UK (in particular because I also did not complete my A-levels nor GCSE here etc.). Do you know, whether this may be the case? And if so, would you then recommend me to rather pursue the GDL or an LL.M. at a prestigious university in the UK? Also, as my family has recently moved to the UK, I definitely aspire to stay in the UK long-term, would you make this somewhat clear in an application?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. I was just a bit concerned that city law firms may discriminate against qualifications not obtained in the UK (in particular because I also did not complete my A-levels nor GCSE here etc.). Do you know, whether this may be the case? And if so, would you then recommend me to rather pursue the GDL or an LL.M. at a prestigious university in the UK? Also, as my family has recently moved to the UK, I definitely aspire to stay in the UK long-term, would you make this somewhat clear in an application?

In some ways they do - you haven’t learnt English law, a subject necessary to do many aspects of the job.

It’s not that your qualifications are non UK - that is actually pretty common, it’s more that you haven’t studied English law (particularly for paralegal roles).

The GDL will allow you to qualify, an LLM won’t. An LLM also won’t cover key modules like contract/tort, although may have some cross over into these topics.

I’d definitely make it clear that you and your family have longer term plans to stay in three Uk (and that it isn’t just you staying).

Reactions: Alexahills

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.