'Self Betterment' in lockdown with a full time role..?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sebastian Clark, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Sebastian Clark

Sebastian Clark New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi all,

I've seen a lot of advice being given to training contract hopefuls about making sure that you have 'learnt something' during this lockdown period so you can demonstrate at interview that you have used the time productively. However, I am still in full time employment, and while I'm not completely slammed, the time I have got spare I'm spending on the applications themselves.

Should I be looking to undertake a coding course/something similar nonetheless? How have other people coped with working from home and writing applications? I'd be interested to know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tractor12

tractor12 Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    I would think if you are working full time firms wouldn't expect you to take on much more especially with everything going on

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden Legendary Member
    TCLA Contributor

TCLA Credits:
    Totally agree with @tractor12 here. I think this sort of advice is aimed at university students who have just finished their studies/those who have been made redundant or furloughed who now have more time on their hands. Obviously, if you feel you can do a course like the one you have mentioned then go for it, but since you are in full-time work I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    You don’t have to worry about this - your full time job will show you have kept yourself busy. The comments about self betterment are really directed to those who are not in education or employment (or who don’t have other major commitments).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sebastian Clark

Sebastian Clark New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yeah, that all makes sense - just thought I'd check. Thanks all!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    Sorry for having missed this but totally echo the above. Working full time and writing apps is a great time investment and you should rightly be taking the rest of the time for yourself and to do the things you enjoy- that’s really important too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1