'Self Betterment' in lockdown with a full time role..?

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
May 5, 2020
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of advice being given to training contract hopefuls about making sure that you have 'learnt something' during this lockdown period so you can demonstrate at interview that you have used the time productively. However, I am still in full time employment, and while I'm not completely slammed, the time I have got spare I'm spending on the applications themselves.

Should I be looking to undertake a coding course/something similar nonetheless? How have other people coped with working from home and writing applications? I'd be interested to know!

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all,

I've seen a lot of advice being given to training contract hopefuls about making sure that you have 'learnt something' during this lockdown period so you can demonstrate at interview that you have used the time productively. However, I am still in full-time employment, and while I'm not completely slammed, the time I have got spare I'm spending on the applications themselves.

Should I be looking to undertake a coding course/something similar nonetheless? How have other people coped with working from home and writing applications? I'd be interested to know!
    I would think if you are working full time firms wouldn't expect you to take on much more especially with everything going on

Totally agree with @tractor12 here. I think this sort of advice is aimed at university students who have just finished their studies/those who have been made redundant or furloughed who now have more time on their hands. Obviously, if you feel you can do a course like the one you have mentioned then go for it, but since you are in full-time work I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I've seen a lot of advice being given to training contract hopefuls about making sure that you have 'learnt something' during this lockdown period so you can demonstrate at interview that you have used the time productively. However, I am still in full time employment, and while I'm not completely slammed, the time I have got spare I'm spending on the applications themselves.

You don’t have to worry about this - your full time job will show you have kept yourself busy. The comments about self betterment are really directed to those who are not in education or employment (or who don’t have other major commitments).

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Yeah, that all makes sense - just thought I'd check. Thanks all!
    Sorry for having missed this but totally echo the above. Working full time and writing apps is a great time investment and you should rightly be taking the rest of the time for yourself and to do the things you enjoy- that’s really important too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.