Should I mention an interest in dual-qualifying?

ESE

Standard Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm a second-year law student in the UK, seeking a TC in the UK. However, I'm from the United States and I plan to dual-qualify in the US shortly after graduating here. I'm looking for advice on whether that's worth mentioning to firms (particularly smaller American firms like Sullivan & Cromwell, whose London office has a lot of US business and US-qualified attorneys).

Given that I highlight an interest in cross-border legal work, I initially thought my plan to dual-qualify would help support this and make me more attractive to firms that do a lot of US-UK deals. But even though they're American firms, I'm obviously applying to their London office, so I'm concerned that mentioning dual-qualification (as someone from the US) might make them worry about my commitment to staying in the UK with their office. And also I'm not sure how much they'd value the qualification alone, since I'd have no work experience in the US.

Do you guys think it's worth mentioning? Thanks in advance for your advice!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I don't think it's particularly necessary to mention. You're applying for a training contract to qualify as a solicitor in England and Wales and that's what frims are assessing for. There's a danger you may open yourself up to additional questions if you profess to have a "great" interest in US qualifying.
Perhaps mention it as an ancillary point to why a US law firm, but I wouldn't base your answer to why Sullivan & Cromwell (or any other US firm) on this.
Don't lose the aim of US qualifying. Regardless, once you get a TC/qualify, bring up the desire to cross qualify. The NY bar is a "fairly" straight forward route and a firm may pay for this (even if they don't have a US office - I know of this having been done), but its a case of one step at a time.

Reactions: Jaysen and Hazal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.