Should i pick a paralegal role in small high street firm, or a small role in a larger firm?

Legalweasel

Standard Member
Sep 20, 2023
Hi,

I've been offered two roles:

1 is a Collections advisor role in a flagship firm in Derby that's growing quickly. And the other is a paralegal role with potential to become a trainee, but it is in a very small firm with about 5 people.

I'm confused which to go for. I am currently a part time lpc student. And I just want some advice - any is appreciated.

Thank you!

Legalweasel

Standard Member
Sep 20, 2023
What are your thoughts on both roles?
I think the Collections Advisor role in the debt recovery team would be exciting and its a good firm to work for.

The paralegal role is in quite a small commercial firm, and I have aspirations of working in a big firm in the future, but I don't know how it would come across if I were to go for that role and train with them, and then apply for roles in larger firms. But it would possibly mean that I get a training contract quicker.

I also should say, the bigger firm rang me today, asking me to try out for a paralegal role with them (but they said they would still offer me the Collections Advisor role if unsuccessful), as I showed potential during the interview.

I'm sort of stuck now on which to choose...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.