Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Anonymous -

First off, the whole partner interview is really based on luck.

The other interviewees had smiling partners but mine was this guy who looked super unhappy to be there.

Secondly, the case study is a contract. It seems like they don't care about your views or how you analyse, all they are looking for is for you to say the correct answer on their sheet and then they will make some markings on it. So my partner would literally cut me off when i gave him the answer he wanted. They just want u to tell them what they want to hear. He also got super impatient when i didn't manage to find the correct clause and stuff. Also they didn't really ask me competency questions. At the end of drilling me about the contract, he asked me what skills can you bring and why simmons together. When i got to skills i said i was an entrepreneur and had experience dealing with clients. He then grilled me about that and i didn't even get a chance to answer why simmons & simmons cos then he just didnt care to ask anymore and asked me another question instead.

I would say the only great part about the whole ac is the written exercise which wasn't that hard.

But overall i got many of the contract answers wrong and i am absolutely certain i can kiss any chance with simmons goodbye.

Overall, i felt the interview was really impersonal and they don't care about you as a person. The partner didn't even ask me any icebreakers. Just got straight to the point about the contract even whilst we were walking to the room.

The group interview was bad.
    It consisted of 3 parts.
    One part was u had 5 mins to quickly think which countries you want,

And then you were split into 2 groups of 3 to discuss 15mins. During the discussion the girl who dominated everything was from Cambridge and her ideas were actually really sound and good. So we went with her idea and the other girls idea. And then we agreed what we were going to say each.

Then we went back and discussed as a big group. But the two of them decided to say stuff that we agreed i would say. And they repeated alot of things that i said at the small group meeting and passed it off as theirs. For instance i said i didn't think Malaysia was viable cos they already have Singapore and the two countries are very close. And she repeated this during the big discussion and passed it off as her own.

Not gonna lie, out of the 6 candidates i think 2 people were actually really really nice Like i don't think the Cambridge girl meant to do that to me or had many mean thoughts. Its just that she was definitely a better and very strong candidate. Which sucks if you're not as good. ‍♀️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.