Six things I learnt by applying for training contracts for six years

Yee Rou Quah

Star Member
Future Trainee
Apr 2, 2018
As we are in the midst of application season, I thought I would share what I learnt in my journey to obtain a training contact. I started applying for training contracts during my second year of university, in 2013. I received a training contract offer this year, in 2018. I write this in the hope that it will encourage you and show you that if I can do it, so can you.

1. Focus on yourself

This is easier said than done but, do not compare yourself with your peers. We are all guilty of this. I often compared myself with friends who are younger than me and who received training contracts in their second year, or peers who were qualifying when I was still attending vacation schemes. But I realised that comparing myself with these people only left me discouraged and disheartened, and further lowered my self-confidence, which had a negative impact on my applications.

2. Progress not perfection

There are many hurdles to finally obtaining that training contract: application form, psychometric test(s), telephone interview/ video interview, assessment day, vacation scheme, and final partner interview. It is heart-breaking to make progress and think ‘This is it! This is my chance!’ only to be told that once again, you were not successful. It is important to acknowledge your victories, whilst also learning from your mistakes. When I first started applying for training contracts, I would be rejected based on my application form. However, as the years progressed, I learnt what it means to submit a strong application. The next challenge for me is then to improve my interview skills! Give yourself credit for overcoming each hurdle, and remind yourself how far you have come.

3. Take it seriously

You would have heard this advice over and over again: make tailored applications. My first round of applications was unfocused- I didn’t know what areas of law I was interested in and what I wanted to do. I was just applying to the same firms that everyone else was applying to! It wasn’t until during the LPC and whilst working as a paralegal that I realised what I was truly fascinated by. Working in the practice area was eye-opening for me as it showed me the realities of what lawyers do. Ask yourself: Which areas of law might you potentially be interested in practising in? Is there anyone you can speak to to get an idea of the realities of the job? Are there any other resources that you can utilise to gain this understanding?

Prepare, prepare, and prepare when you have been invited to an interview and/or an assessment day. Do not only start preparing the day before the interview! Think about the questions that are bound to come up. Anticipating questions helped me tremendously- I realised that I could estimate most of the interview questions that come up during the assessment day. I turned to Student Room extensively during my preparation as many students who have been through the same process posted there. I also looked at questions I was asked at previous assessment days where I had been unsuccessful and made sure that for the next assessment day, I would have strong answers prepared.

4. Practice makes perfect

Psychometric tests are challenging. Most of us do not find it easy. There is no shortcut to this: you have to make time to practise. If possible, spend at least an hour a day practising these tests seven days before the day that you are going to do the test. There are many websites on the internet that offer practice packs (some which are free, others which come with a cost).

I feared video interviews the most. It is difficult to articulate clearly when you only have 30 seconds to prepare and one minute to answer! I recorded myself on my phone to practise. Through this process I learnt how long my answer was, what the main points I wanted to get across were, and how I could articulate the answer more succinctly.

Don’t be afraid to ask your friends for help. I asked my friends to conduct mock interviews for me and to participate in mock group exercises with me by bribing them with pizza! There are also practice packs available for these exercises on the internet.

5. Utilise your resources

I did not have any contacts in the legal industry and/or the City. None of my family are lawyers. I come from a first generation immigrant family. It was easy, at first, to feel resentful towards my friends who had contacts and managed to obtain work experiences that way, which they then used to get that vacation scheme, which they then converted to a training contract. At one point, I felt that it was impossible for me. Alas, the legal industry belonged to the elite. If you are the same, do not let this stop you! Many of us in the legal industry are committed to diversity and inclusion. I utilised the support offered by Aspiring Solicitors, Student Room, and the Corporate Law Academy. Help was out there from the beginning- I just had to ask for it!

6. Persevere and persist

If you have decided that this is your chosen career, do not give up! Yes, it is difficult, and yes, it will be worth it. The resilience you develop as you bounce back after each rejection will only help you in your future legal career. The last six years haven't been easy, but I have learnt so much from it. It is what I learnt about myself that is the biggest takeaway for me. I learnt that I can be organised and self-disciplined. I can work full-time whilst spending weekends and bank holidays writing application forms and preparing for interviews. As I overcome hurdles that once seemed like mountains to climb, I gained that self-confidence which I lacked and realised that as long as I was willing to put the work in, I can do it. I learnt what my career means to me and how determined I am to succeed. All this, I believe, will only assist me during my training contract and beyond.

We are all going through different journeys. You have your own path. Focus on this, continue to improve, and make the most out of the opportunities in front of you!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you so much for writing this. I admire your tenacity and what you have given all of us here is sincere advice on the importance of accepting rejection in the right way. By using each stage as a building block, you have shown us all what it takes to be a lawyer. I wish you every success. You seriously deserve it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.