Slaughter and May VS 2021/TC 2023 application

Chance

• Nov 20, 2020
    I had my interview on Tuesday. My interview was almost very relaxed, they wanted to know about my background and why law mostly. I was almost 45 mins into the interview before I was asked why Slaughters. It seems to depend on your interviewers but they will single in on an interesting area of your cv for a while. During the cv discussion I wasn't outright asked a commercial awareness question but through my answers I dropped in some recent news stories that I was interested in an then we had a discussion about that. The article discussion, again, was quite relaxed for me - I was expecting more of a devils advocate position to be played by the partners but within my answers I also said well on the flip side you could also state/ argue this ... so maybe I covered that myself. Honestly, just try not to stress about it too much, I was super nervous but everyone was really nice throughout the day and made me feel at ease.
    I think it must depend on the partners you get

law230

Esteemed Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    When talking to a trainee on my interview day they said that the interviewing partners get together every Friday to discuss candidates, but it all depends on whether your partners are busy that week - could take a few weeks
    Yeah they said 1 week for me. Kind of nervous though bc I don't think the HR interview went well. Everyone said they were so nice but mine were a bit stoned face lol.

Aasha.k

Feb 11, 2021
    Yeah that makes sense, I'm a PPE student. I said i was very interested in M&A and was grilled a lot about a specific merger that I had mentioned but I study econ so I managed to get a good discussion around it thankfully. Out of interest how did you find the article discussion

Aasha.k

Feb 11, 2021
    Yeah they said 1 week for me. Kind of nervous though bc I don't think the HR interview went well. Everyone said they were so nice but mine were a bit stoned face lol.
    From what current trainees have said, it just seems that within the HR interview they're trying to make sure you treated it the same as the partner interview and that your answers were the same etc and that you could possibly add in anything that you forgot to mention to the partners - so I guess don't worry if they weren't too friendly. Did you have Ellie Ballinger for your HR interview?

Chance

• Nov 20, 2020
    Yeah that makes sense, I'm a PPE student. I said i was very interested in M&A and was grilled a lot about a specific merger that I had mentioned but I study econ so I managed to get a good discussion around it thankfully. Out of interest how did you find the article discussion
    Very difficult. They kept going in on whatever I replied. I tried to defend my points well though. BTW can I ask how long you're interviewed lasted?

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    Honestly would not know. I did the WW too. I guess they might possibly since the earliest we could interview was end of Feb, but that's just a guess
    Yeah I'm hopefully. But they also have to allocate trainee positions to their VS candidates so it will probs be super super hard. Also I think a lot of the WW candidates did take the interview so I'm sure its going to be really hard.

Aasha.k

Feb 11, 2021
    Yeah I'm hopefully. But they also have to allocate trainee positions to their VS candidates so it will probs be super super hard. Also I think a lot of the WW candidates did take the interview so I'm sure its going to be really hard.
    Yeah so true, I think there were around 50 of us on the WW. But I guess try not to think about how many spaces they have left and psyche yourself out. And while yes there are TCs for VS attendees, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be offered a TC. And with anyone offered a TC doesn't mean they'll choose to accept Slaughters over say A&O etc if offered one. on the WW they also said that you could be put on a waitlist if they liked you but have no spaces left so I guess we'll just have to wait and see

Jxmxs00

Premium Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hi,

Congrats :). Did you get a notification from them saying they were contacting your references and did they contact them via email / phone?
    I didn't, my tutor emailed me saying that he had received an email from them to arrange a phone call later that day. He was emailing to ask for my transcript but other than that there was no way I would've found out that they had contacted my reference.

sparky10

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    I didn't, my tutor emailed me saying that he had received an email from them to arrange a phone call later that day. He was emailing to ask for my transcript but other than that there was no way I would've found out that they had contacted my reference.
    ah ok makes sense. Do you know what kind of stuff they asked your tutor? Assuming they were also using it to check your grades were legitimate.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.