Slaughter and May VS 2021/TC 2023 application

TikiTaka18

Jan 18, 2021
I had my interview on Tuesday. My interview was almost very relaxed, they wanted to know about my background and why law mostly. I was almost 45 mins into the interview before I was asked why Slaughters. It seems to depend on your interviewers but they will single in on an interesting area of your cv for a while. During the cv discussion I wasn't outright asked a commercial awareness question but through my answers I dropped in some recent news stories that I was interested in an then we had a discussion about that. The article discussion, again, was quite relaxed for me - I was expecting more of a devils advocate position to be played by the partners but within my answers I also said well on the flip side you could also state/ argue this ... so maybe I covered that myself. Honestly, just try not to stress about it too much, I was super nervous but everyone was really nice throughout the day and made me feel at ease.
That's great to hear a more positive story. Most of the posts I've read on TCLA have mentioned that they were grilled at the interview.

How much of your interview was spent discussing the article? From your comment, I gather that most of your interview was focused on you and your background.

h2020

Esteemed Member
Dec 26, 2019
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back
Mel B Good Luck GIF by America's Got Talent

Reactions: Aasha.k and Chance

conniekatherine

Esteemed Member
Sep 30, 2019
My TC app on the portal has changed today from 'interview confirmed' to 'application under consideration' - I feel like it'll likely be a bit longer until I find out (interviewed 1 week ago today) ! References etc.. have to be contacted if successful so can take a while :) Good luck everyone!

Reactions: Samantha

Chance

• Nov 20, 2020
    I had quite a positive experience. The two interviewers were very friendly. They were looking to get to know me but also suss out the way I responded to being challenged. A few times I felt like my answers were not particularly great and I had to take a step back and gather my thoughts. Ultimately, it felt like the interview was an informal discussion but a very interesting one. I think more than anything I found the research task difficult as I was pushed for time and felt my answers were ambiguous! How did you find yours?
    I can echo that. I found the article and case study v hard but the actual interview portion was fine.

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    I had quite a positive experience. The two interviewers were very friendly. They were looking to get to know me but also suss out the way I responded to being challenged. A few times I felt like my answers were not particularly great and I had to take a step back and gather my thoughts. Ultimately, it felt like the interview was an informal discussion but a very interesting one. I think more than anything I found the research task difficult as I was pushed for time and felt my answers were ambiguous! How did you find yours?
    same honestly. Case study was VERY time pressured for me. Interview was fine but I felt I was being to informal at times.

Chance

• Nov 20, 2020
    Yeah exactly and I did make it clear to them in what I would have done better. I found the partner interview, trainee and HR interview very informal and also quite enjoyable. Best of luck, when were you interviewed? If last week maybe check your portal for an update.
    Wednesday! My portal updated on Thursday.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.