Slaughter and May VS 2021/TC 2023 application

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
I'm so sorry @jasonweee; I promise I didn't mean for it to come across negatively.

I do have one upcoming, and I'm feeling full of anxiety and panic. The majority of people I've spoken to say they grill you. The fact that a candidate missed out on an offer because places are almost filled up makes me even more nervous.

Again, apologies for my comment above!

Samantha

Legendary Member
Nov 18, 2020
I'm so sorry @jasonweee; I promise I didn't mean for it to come across negatively.

I do have one upcoming, and I'm feeling full of anxiety and panic. The majority of people I've spoken to say they grill you. The fact that a candidate missed out on an offer because places are almost filled up makes me even more nervous.

Again, apologies for my comment above!
Hey! I think it really depends on who you get to interview you. My interviewers were really nice. One tip would be to look through your modules and figure out if there has been any commercial news around them. Thats one thing I wasn't expecting and got grilled.

Reactions: RubySmithers

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
Hey! I think it really depends on who you get to interview you. My interviewers were really nice. One tip would be to look through your modules and figure out if there has been any commercial news around them. Thats one thing I wasn't expecting and got grilled.

Hey!

Thanks for that, Samantha - I hope you hear back with a positive outcome.

Do you have any advice regarding the written exercise? It takes me a while to read and digest info, so I'm a little worried that I'll be pressed for time.

Samantha

Legendary Member
Nov 18, 2020
Hey!

Thanks for that, Samantha - I hope you hear back with a positive outcome.

Do you have any advice regarding the written exercise? It takes me a while to read and digest info, so a little worried that I'll be pressed for time.
It is super time pressured. just try and keep a structure and save time at the end bc I didn't even have time to spell check! Whens ur interview if you dont mind me asking?

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
It is super time pressured. just try and keep a structure and save time at the end bc I didn't even have time to spell check! Whens ur interview if you dont mind me asking?
Will do!

What type of advice did you have to provide? On other posts, it appears there is a trend i.e. the firm asks you to advice on business growth strategies - was this the case for you?

My interview is next week. I'm just so worried about the whole process with S&M as there doesn't seem to be any consistency with how they interview candidates. For example, some people say it's very focused on your commercial knowledge and motivation for wanting to join the firm, whereas others say they weren't asked a single question about their motivation/commercial awareness and it was all about getting to know them and their journey.

Samantha

Legendary Member
Nov 18, 2020
Will do!

What type of advice did you have to provide? On other posts, it appears there is a trend i.e. the firm asks you to advice on business growth strategies - was this the case for you?

My interview is next week. I'm just so worried about the whole process with S&M as there doesn't seem to be any consistency with how they interview candidates. For example, some people say it's very focused on your commercial knowledge and motivation for wanting to join the firm, whereas others say they weren't asked a single question about their motivation/commercial awareness and it was all about getting to know them and their journey.

Yes it was so research the advantages and disadvantages. Not too much just basic Econ

Reactions: RubySmithers

Aasha.k

Feb 11, 2021
How long does slaughter take to get back to you post interview for a straight TC
When talking to a trainee on my interview day they said that the interviewing partners get together every Friday to discuss candidates, but it all depends on whether your partners are busy that week - could take a few weeks

Aasha.k

Feb 11, 2021
Will do!

I had my interview on Tuesday. My interview was almost very relaxed, they wanted to know about my background and why law mostly. I was almost 45 mins into the interview before I was asked why Slaughters. It seems to depend on your interviewers but they will single in on an interesting area of your cv for a while. During the cv discussion I wasn't outright asked a commercial awareness question but through my answers I dropped in some recent news stories that I was interested in an then we had a discussion about that. The article discussion, again, was quite relaxed for me - I was expecting more of a devils advocate position to be played by the partners but within my answers I also said well on the flip side you could also state/ argue this ... so maybe I covered that myself. Honestly, just try not to stress about it too much, I was super nervous but everyone was really nice throughout the day and made me feel at ease.

Reactions: TikiTaka18

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.