Slightly worried before my TC

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
Dear TCLA readers

Provisio: I know lots of people on here are grinding away at getting their TC and I am sorry in advance if this post is irritating (if it's any help it took me two years and self funding to get to this point so I know the grind).

I start my TC very soon at a Magic Circle firm but I am slightly worried now as people have been lining up to tell me how hard I will work and how dreadful the hours will be when I tell them where I am going. Included in this list are: a former MC associate (first time meeting him) who gave me this lecture over CHRISTMAS eve drinks, most partners and current trainees at the small sized London law firm where I currently paralegal, and other sorts.

Of course I know what the hours will be! I try to tell them - I am a bit older, I always care deeply about my work (often staying late or getting too obsessive about something), I have had a previous career, one of my positive character traits are endurance and generally a determined attitude, and I can laugh when things get ridiculous, I worked in a restaurant 10am - 2am/3am for a LONG period of my life.

The long and the short is that I am aware of the challenge ahead and I did believe I was up for it, I don't know if this is just a cultural thing because the firm I currently paralegal at are - I would say in my humble opinion - not overly hardworking. Surely, I won't despise it?! I am thinking of nurses, doctors, truck drivers, parents who come home to more work to look after children... it cannot be THAT bad!?

Sorry for the rant but I would really really appreciate anyones thoughts...

Reactions: Helena

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Dear TCLA readers

Provisio: I know lots of people on here are grinding away at getting their TC and I am sorry in advance if this post is irritating (if it's any help it took me two years and self funding to get to this point so I know the grind).

I start my TC very soon at a Magic Circle firm but I am slightly worried now as people have been lining up to tell me how hard I will work and how dreadful the hours will be when I tell them where I am going. Included in this list are: a former MC associate (first time meeting him) who gave me this lecture over CHRISTMAS eve drinks, most partners and current trainees at the small sized London law firm where I currently paralegal, and other sorts.

Of course I know what the hours will be! I try to tell them - I am a bit older, I always care deeply about my work (often staying late or getting too obsessive about something), I have had a previous career, one of my positive character traits are endurance and generally a determined attitude, and I can laugh when things get ridiculous, I worked in a restaurant 10am - 2am/3am for a LONG period of my life.

The long and the short is that I am aware of the challenge ahead and I did believe I was up for it, I don't know if this is just a cultural thing because the firm I currently paralegal at are - I would say in my humble opinion - not overly hardworking. Surely, I won't despise it?! I am thinking of nurses, doctors, truck drivers, parents who come home to more work to look after children... it cannot be THAT bad!?

Sorry for the rant but I would really really appreciate anyones thoughts...

No need to apologise, it's a great post. Congrats on the TC.

I experienced the same thing before starting my TC. I have mixed feelings. I think it's good that people entering the profession are aware of the hours, but there's only so many times you can be told the hours are tough until it doesn't really sink in anymore.

There's no sugar coating it, the hours are a really tough part of the profession and on the worst days - you'll probably wish you chose a different job. But I think over time you do just get more used to it and if you've had experience working those kind of hours before then I think you'll transition OK.

You might despise the hours, but that doesn't mean you'll despise the job. If you like what you're doing and you like the people you're with, those factors will make it manageable.

Finally, it really does depend on the department you're in. If you're in a less busy department for one of your seats, you could easily be leaving at 6-7 most days.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.