Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With the increase in solicitor apprenticeship opportunities, TCLA wanted to start a forum and thread for those seeking these opportunities in 2024.

If you complete a solicitor apprenticeship, you’ll receive the same qualifications as someone who has taken a traditional route to becoming a lawyer, but you’ll avoid student debt, earn while you learn, and get on-the-job training.

What is a solicitor apprenticeship?

Solicitor apprenticeships are aimed at post A-level students, as well as those already working in the world of law, like paralegals who do not have a degree level qualification. As you complete a law degree and SQE qualifications during the apprenticeship, they are generally not suited to those who have already obtained a degree level qualification. For those with a degree, they should look for training contracts or Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeships (which are typically 27-30 months instead of solicitor apprenticeships, which are 6 years).

A Solicitor Apprenticeship is a Level 7 degree-level programme, which is completed in six years. You’ll train as a lawyer and study the same qualifications as those completing a training contract.

How does a solicitor apprenticeships work?

By the end of the apprenticeship, you’ll take the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) to qualify as a solicitor. Apprentices will also obtain a law degree or degree level qualification through their training too.

You’ll receive these qualifications and training at no cost to you, meaning you won’t build up debt while training as a lawyer. On top of this, you’ll earn a salary.

You’ll spend approximately 20% of your time studying for these qualifications with a training provider, like a university. The rest of your time will be spent building practical skills by applying your knowledge in the workplace alongside experienced lawyers. Although you will have 20% of your time dedicated to the apprenticeship training, you will receive a full-time salary.

To be eligible to start the apprenticeship, you will usually need a level 3 qualification, such as A-levels, BTECs, or a Level 3 apprenticeship.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Solicitor Apprenticeship resources:

https://citycentury.co.uk/ - City Century is a solicitor apprenticeship initiative that identifies, recruits, educates, and develops the very best talent, connecting them to the City of London. City Century has over 50 firms taking on solicitor apprentices in 2024 and 2025.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Firms recruiting solicitor apprentices:
  • Addleshaw Goddard
  • Allen & Overy
  • Ashurst
  • Bates Well
  • BDB Pitmans
  • Bird & Bird
  • Blake Morgan
  • Bristows
  • Charles Russell Speechlys
  • CMS
  • DAC Beachcroft
  • Dentons
  • DLA Piper
  • Evershed Sutherland
  • Farrer & Co
  • Fenchurch Law
  • Fieldfisher
  • Forsters
  • Fox Williams
  • Freshfields
  • Gowling
  • HFW
  • Hogan Lovells
  • Linklaters
  • Mayer Brown
  • Mischon de Reya
  • Norton Rose Fulbright
  • Osborne Clarke
  • Reed Smith
  • Stephenson Harwood
  • Simmons + Simmons
  • Taylor Wessing
  • Travers Smith
  • Trowers & Hamlins
  • Watson Farley & Williams
  • Wedlake Bell
  • Weil
  • White & Case
  • Wiggin

kiran dhanoa

Jan 23, 2024
Hi Jessica, I graduated in 2012 in Law. Gained a hell a of a lot practical experience within the legal sector. I am looking to qualify and take my career as a paralegal to the next level. My specialty is criminal defence. I am not sure if I should undertake the SQE route or even the CILEX route. My trouble is, I am so good at coursework and oral assessments, as well as on my feet. But I am so very trouble at examinations and this scares me so very much. I also need to put a proposal together for my current employers as I am hoping they will fund my further training and qualifications. What would your advice be? I have connected with you on linkedin too! Best wishes,

yasmin yusuf

Jan 25, 2024
Hi Jessica, I have applied for a solicitor degree apprenticeship at Pinsent Mason. I have an online blended assessment and an assessment centre to complete that needs to be completed before next week. However, I haven't done this type of assessment before and just wanted to see any tips or best websites for practising before I take the assessment.
Thank you

s15ingh

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
Hi Jessica, I have applied for a solicitor degree apprenticeship at Pinsent Mason. I have an online blended assessment and an assessment centre to complete that needs to be completed before next week. However, I haven't done this type of assessment before and just wanted to see any tips or best websites for practising before I take the assessment.
Thank you
Hi Yasmin, which office did you apply for?

yasmin yusuf

Jan 25, 2024
If you know the best websites or resources available to help me prepare for these assessments effectively? I understand the importance of being thoroughly prepared, and I am willing to put in the time and effort to ensure I make a strong impression during assessments. If you have any recommendations for online assessment practice, assessment centre simulations, or interview preparation materials, I would be extremely grateful.

Reactions: awh_aysha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.