Strange application questions...

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I’ve come across a few weird questions. Thought I’d put them out there to get views:

1. What motivates you.

2. How would you add value during a vacation scheme to the office.

3. If you could go back in time for a historical event, what would it be and why.

4. What rewards do you expect.

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
I’ve come across a few weird questions. Thought I’d put them out there to get views:

1. What motivates you.

3. If you could go back in time for a historical event, what would it be and why.

I had this question at my Jones Day interview! I was quite flustered and came out with a terrible answer, so I've since prepared something better about personal development, helping others, reaching a goal etc.

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018

1. What motivates you.

question 3 is really interesting but I'm sure I would freeze then give a terrible answer. Would love to hear sharings of answers from you guys

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

1. What motivates you.

Some thoughts:
    2. It may help to lead with your strengths so it gives some structure to your answer. I'd also focus on small victories.
    3. I personally hate questions like this. I'd pick an event I knew something about as there may be follow up questions.
    4. This is a good one I haven't heard before. As Jess said, one answer you could use is personal development --just try to be specific about what that means. If you can flex the definition of "rewards", you could go for regular feedback/a nice team etc., although that may be too far out. You could also mention non-monetary benefits you know you'll get e.g. gym memberships and then discuss why the gym is important to you (if it is).

Kate Spenser

Sep 29, 2018
    Hello. I would appreciate if you can help me with the one of the question that I have come across in the Training Contract application. 'Which skills do you now have which will be essential on day one of your TC?'. Are there any specific tasks giving on the day one of which I am not aware? Thank you in advance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello. I would appreciate if you can help me with the one of the question that I have come across in the Training Contract application. 'Which skills do you now have which will be essential on day one of your TC?'. Are there any specific tasks giving on the day one of which I am not aware? Thank you in advance!
    I imagine the question is asking what skills you need for the beginning of your training contract (so you hit the ground running) rather than literally for "day one". Try to think about the things you'll have to do as a trainee. e.g. draft emails to clients, complete tasks for multiple people at the same time, manage expectations, work late under pressure, receive feedback from your supervisor etc. Then consider the skills you have that will help you in those situations.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Another weird new one I've come across.... if you did not pursue a career in law, what would you do and why?!
    This one is pretty common actually. Sometimes, it's not so general: the firm might see that you have experience in a different field and ask why you chose not to pursue that instead. They might also press you on your interest in commercial law. For example, if you say you are interested in M&A, they might ask why you don't want to be an investment banker and drive the transaction instead.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.