Strengths based interviews

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a telephone interview coming up which is strengths based. I've only just got my head around competency interviews and the STAR format so I'm at a loss with this one. Has anyone had a strengths based assessment and is able to share some tips? Specifically with how to format an answer?

Equally, does anyone have any tips for a telephone interview?

Thanks!

Reactions: Salma

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hey there! I recently did my first telephone interview so here are a few tips I would offer on telephone interviews more generally:
  • Use a pair of earphones with a built in microphone! This is probably really obvious, but by leaving your hands free you can silently flick through notes while the interviewer is asking you questions.
  • Prepare some notes. I personally typed out bullet point answers on a Word document, highlighted headings, and silently scrolled through the document as the interview progressed. This is more discreet than flipping a paper which your interviewer may hear! However, you should be careful not to read your notes out mechanically - try to use them as prompts.
  • Common questions. Some really common questions are 'why law', 'why X firm', and something about teamwork, eg 'tell me a time you worked with a difficult team member'. You might also get asked about your greatest strength or weakness. Remember also to prepare a couple of questions you might want to ask at the end of the interview - I was a bit sidelined by this at the end of my interview, but I simply asked about the structure of the future assessment day.
  • Have your application printed out. I didn't do this, and kind of wish I did. My interviewer asked me about my secondary education and all of my work experience starting from first year of university, and it was actually a bit tricky to remember everything I had mentioned in those sections off the top of my head!
  • Practise speaking out loud. You have more of a chance to control your tone of speech in a telephone interview because the person isn't actually facing you, so practice speaking out loud in a measured, clear voice, so your interviewer can hear you well.
Regarding structuring answers, STAR is generally the way to go when giving example-type answers (ie competency questions), but I'm not so sure what you mean by strengths-based questions!

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a telephone interview coming up which is strengths based. I've only just got my head around competency interviews and the STAR format so I'm at a loss with this one. Has anyone had a strengths based assessment and is able to share some tips? Specifically with how to format an answer?

Thanks!

Hey @Demna87, during the live session on Friday, Rachael will be discussing how she prepared for her Reed Smith strength based interview :)

Please do join us if you can

Last edited:
Reactions: Demna87

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Think this provides a good summary on how to prepare/what to expect

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/interview-tips/strength-based-interviews

But I would also say the STAR approach would work equally well with strength based interviews. Although from personal experience I find the answers tend to be a little shorter due to the nature of the questions.

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Theres also some forum posts around the more tricky strength based interview questions such as 'biggest weakness' you might want to take a look at.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.